Menu
DJPRLFC
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Installation

How is the connection made to my house please?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Installation

By underground coaxial cable from the nearest street cabinet to your property ... then through the property wall (connection box either side of the entry point).  Then inside the house a white coaxial cable will connect from the internal connection box to wherever you want the Virgin Super Hub to be located.

All this assumes that you are living in a cabled area.  If so your property may already be cabled but if not you need to investigate whether it can be.  http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3093&CURRENT_C...

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

a cable is run from the street cabinet via a duct under the road or pavement to the drop box in front of your house - thats usually a small triangular box near your front boundary - from there the same cable will tun across your garden or whatever is between the front of the property and the pavement - that should be buried by the install team - if you have block paving or concrete they will not dig that up so the cable may have to run along a fence above ground

the cable is then terminated in an external box [omnibox] - from there they will drill through your external wall to do the internal wiring

Tony
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

By underground coaxial cable from the nearest street cabinet to your property ... then through the property wall (connection box either side of the entry point).  Then inside the house a white coaxial cable will connect from the internal connection box to wherever you want the Virgin Super Hub to be located.

All this assumes that you are living in a cabled area.  If so your property may already be cabled but if not you need to investigate whether it can be.  http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3093&CURRENT_C...

Electron
0 Kudos
DJPRLFC
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank u dave, my point exactly. my landlord, who is also the site builder is pretty sure its not been put into our side of the street. i have an installation date saying 1 til 6, but surely they cant do all that in just 5 hours? digging up a road an all?

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

DJPRLFC wrote:

Thank u dave, my point exactly. my landlord, who is also the site builder is pretty sure its not been put into our side of the street. i have an installation date saying 1 til 6, but surely they cant do all that in just 5 hours? digging up a road an all?

Indeed not.  If the road needs to be dug up then they need wayleave permissions from the council ... that can take weeks if not months.  Then a crew needs to do the digging and install the green conduit piping underground from the street cabinet to the properties concerned.   Then another crew has to actually install the cables into that conduit.   Then an installer needs to run the cable into your property and connect you up indoors and at the cabinet .......... by which time you will probably have lost the will to live!     Smiley Sad

So don't be surprised if an engineer turns up on your 'installation date' and with a sharp intake of breath announces 'It can't be done mate, you ain't gotta cable'.

Electron
0 Kudos
DJPRLFC
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Oh great, i have cancelled my other services now, i hope that doesnt happen. virgin dont have any right to offer a service they cant fulfill. im feeling sick now. why oh why?

0 Kudos
bg2
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I can sympathise completely,they did exactly the same to me. Failed to turn up for appointment no phone call or text cancelling even though they sent reminder by text same morning.Then told me would be 6-8 weeks as they had to dig up path. Two weeks later they took over my landline even though they knew they could not install there line, so was without phone broadband and tv extras for over a week. Found best way for temp solution was Ten Tel monthly contract and Now TV for sky sports etc. Broadbands not the fastest but better than nothing took about 5 days for installation. Been told it will be another 2 weeks before work is done in street that will be 9 weeks from original date then have to make new appointment for new install. 

0 Kudos