Menu
NP33
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Installation process - not had cable before

Hi

I am due to have Virgin phone and broadband installed on the 1st of April. I don't really understand how it works. My house has never had cable before. I understand that the cable goes from the boundary of my property to an external wall of the house, where a hole is drilled.

But how do Virgin get from their street cabinet to the boundary of my property? Do they have to dig up the pavement? And is this done on the same day? Would now till the 1st of April be enough time to do all of the required tasks when the house hasn't had cable before?

I am just concerned that come the day, the engineers will tell me that it's actually not possible, and I am going to be left without an internet connection.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Installation process - not had cable before

Read this set of help pages. Provided there is street ducting from the cable system outside your house to the nearest VM "green street" box you'll be OK. That's the external cable from the box to your house that needs to be run.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You should have this or something similar on your boundary. If you haven't then there might be delays:

Cable service ducting access "Tee"Cable service ducting access "Tee"

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It will be on the public side of your boundary. Ideally the cable pull team should drill through the pipe underneath this cover & pull the cable underground onto your property, where it will be left coiled up. The installer will then open the ground a few inches deep & should drop trunking in, which the cable is then pulled through.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Read this set of help pages. Provided there is street ducting from the cable system outside your house to the nearest VM "green street" box you'll be OK. That's the external cable from the box to your house that needs to be run.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

April 1st ... it doesn't bode well ......  Smiley Sad

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You should have this or something similar on your boundary. If you haven't then there might be delays:

Cable service ducting access "Tee"Cable service ducting access "Tee"

NP33
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies.

Do you mean the CATV hatch should be inside my boundary? Or just outside?

I think there is a CATV hatch just outside my boundary wall. How would they get the cable from this hole to my wall, without having a cable running along the pavement?

Sorry for all the obvious questions, just haven't dealt with this before!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It will be on the public side of your boundary. Ideally the cable pull team should drill through the pipe underneath this cover & pull the cable underground onto your property, where it will be left coiled up. The installer will then open the ground a few inches deep & should drop trunking in, which the cable is then pulled through.

NP33
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok - and if the area between my boundary wall and house is paved, presumably they don't do any digging and will pin to a side wall or something?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

HowardML wrote:
Yes!

Did you just win the lottery Howard      Smiley LOL

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos