Menu
LJWakefield
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Installation problems

Supposed to get Virgin Media broadband, TV and phone installed last Friday, but had had no end of problems.

Firstly the 'engineer' terminated the cables badly, mounted the phone socket upside down after cutting the telephone cable too short and both boxes not level. The outside termination was also a shambles. He then switched on the router and couldn't get it working, he phone someone up and said 'oh I had this earlier today' and told me it will work in 3 hours, then decided to leave.

3 hours later, router still flashing the green arrows. So I then called 150 and spoke to numerous people, reset the router around 20 times all with the same result. After around 3 hours of being on the phone they eventually said wait half an hour as the router is doing a firmware update. 1 hour later I reset the router but the same flashing arrows. I called again, this time spoke to a couple of agents and was told I can't see anything wrong, so booked me another 'engineer' visit, closest one is next Wednesday!

After hanging up, I checked on my myvirginmedia and it said my next bill will be £65 (which by the way includes an activation fee?! I've had nothing activated yet still charged a fee for doing it). I was hoping that I wouldn't be charged from last Friday as nothing worked.

So the next morning I called 150 and asked if I was being charged already, the agent said 'yes from your installation date'. So I said it's not even working, so she then advised that she'll make a note of it and ma Be add some credit to our account.

This is appalling service, and if I could get decent broadband from another provider I'd cancel and change. But being in a new build home nobody offers anything like the speed we require.

Anybody have more information on the green flashing arrows? Or has anybody experienced anything like this before?

Helpful Answers
andyjstew
Up to speed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Installation problems

Hi LJWakefield,

Sounds like the modem is unable to lock on to any of the upstream or down streams, judging by what you've said regarding the engineers installation it sounds like poor connection shave been made and this is what is causing it.

If the hub isn't receiving a decent enough signal then the power levels will be too low for it to lock on.

Is your TV service working without issue?

Note: If you have the TV6 box check the following as it "might" give you an indication as to power levels.

Help & settings -> System Info -> Diagnostics 

Scroll down the list and you should have 5 tuners, check the signal strength and the SNR for each of them.

My signal strength for all channel is 100% with an SNR of 44.

Hope this helps?

0 Kudos

All Replies
andyjstew
Up to speed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi LJWakefield,

Sounds like the modem is unable to lock on to any of the upstream or down streams, judging by what you've said regarding the engineers installation it sounds like poor connection shave been made and this is what is causing it.

If the hub isn't receiving a decent enough signal then the power levels will be too low for it to lock on.

Is your TV service working without issue?

Note: If you have the TV6 box check the following as it "might" give you an indication as to power levels.

Help & settings -> System Info -> Diagnostics 

Scroll down the list and you should have 5 tuners, check the signal strength and the SNR for each of them.

My signal strength for all channel is 100% with an SNR of 44.

Hope this helps?

0 Kudos
LJWakefield
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi andyjstew,

After looking through some other threads I was thinking the same, it's a shame the engineer left so sharpish and never really tested the install.

Had an email today from Virgin saying -

Congratulations! Your super fast broadband from Virgin Media is now active. Thank you for selecting your Web Safe settings, here are the options you chose.

I do have a V6 box but not switched it on yet, the engineer said the broadband needs to be working before I power the box on.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi LJWakefield

Welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to hear of the problems you experienced after the install and the inconvenience this must have caused you. Everything looks ok when checking your connection now but if you are still experiencing any issues please let us know and we'll certainly look into it.

Kind regards,

Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
gazzapsc7
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My installation date was last Thursday 27th July 2017 in new property. Engineer came and couldn't find internal cables even though there are six flats in our apartment block and at least 3 of those have Virgin Media. Last person in our flat to have Virgin Media was only in 2015 and no structural work has been done in block of our house. Manager then came out and also could not find cables so we are NOT connected.

Everyone else in our block can get Virgin Media yet we cannot?

WHY? Please help
0 Kudos
Vickyfaye84
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same issues!!! Called many times and tried online chat. I even went and brought a house phone as I have spent so much using my mobile to call them to get NO WHERE. Personally want to cancel before it ever works now.
0 Kudos