Menu
yes
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Installation of cabling privately funded

Hi,

How much it be to do a private install of virgin media down 30m of a road which VM has previously vetted and declined due to cost reasons? Thanks Jon
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation of cabling privately funded

If the road you are in has been allowed for capacity wise in an existing cabinet you might be lucky. If not you don't have much hope unless the entire street is cabled with its own cabinet.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
yes
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I don't understand what you mean nodrogd? The main road is already connected up but our house is down a weird long side road which is about 30m.. the installation team have been round and said it is beyond their budget?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

hiya @yes some quick numbers would be around £200-£300 for permits to dig up the street, cost of workmen £500-£1000, cost to get virginmedia construction team out £300 (taking a complete guess their) so estimating just over a thousand.. so wouldn't be cost effective for virginmedia say at £80 a month take just over a year to recoup costs.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

yes wrote:
Sorry I don't understand what you mean nodrogd? The main road is already connected up but our house is down a weird long side road which is about 30m.. the installation team have been round and said it is beyond their budget?

Each address is allocated to a street cabinet. If all the taps in the existing cabinet on the "main" road are allocated to the houses in that road, then a new cabinet (which serves around 50 - 100 properties) would have to be installed. This would more than likely triple the cost of installing the infrastructure (hence it would be more cost effective to cable the entire street). Even then there is no guarantee there would be enough phone line capacity at the local node site.

Individual houses with 30m driveways are also unlikely to get a service, due to signal strength issues.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
sku11meister
Up to speed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

this is interesting, why not get some one who is an ex-virgin engineer to help you purchase the cable, ducting and other bits needed to actually lay the main run yourself, to the virgin spec? then just get VM to link it up at the street?

its just a matter of running a RG6 or RG11 shielded cable depending on the network and distance, adding a small tap bank pit at the end of your street instead of a tee and connecting you up?

depending on the local architecture of the network, long distance connections are normally run in RG11 cable, well they were when i was a cable engineer, and if you are on a cab system or a tap bank system depends on what cable and how its connected.

if you have virgin at the top of your road, its very possible to run it to you, if the correct cable is used

i dont know if virgin will let you do that or if they will connect a private run to the network but might be worth asking?

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I suspect it will be a case of Computer Says No. Processing such a non standard installation would be more trouble than it was worth for Virgin Media.

Who would own the cable?
Who would maintain it?
Who would insure the works in case of injury or damage?
Who owns the road being dug up?
Who would negotiate the wayleave?
What would happen if you moved out?
What would happen if you changed your mind or became seriously ill before completion etc?

And probably another half dozen questions. The technical bit is the easy bit. Unless you can persuade Virgin Media to reconsider, I think you have no chance, would be easier and quicker to move house.
0 Kudos
sku11meister
Up to speed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

EU would own the cable from the tap

EU would maintain it from the tap

the insurance for works would be between the contracor and customer to sort out at the time of works

the EU is the owner of the "road" being dug up , if not then yes " can of worms with wayleave and permits etc"

if you moved out you would include this in the deeds of the house, very simple to "disconnect" the EU

if you change your mind, how would that effect virgin media? they lay the cable beforehand themselves? to the spec of an inspection by a networks engineer to pass it for connection? its not rocket science? its connecting some one 30m away from an active street which would be not viable for virgin to pay to connect!

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Never going to happen I fear. Especially with Brexit, the EU would want massif compensation. I suggest the end user looks to the world outside Virgin Media for strong and stable broadband.
0 Kudos