Menu
AlexPT
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Installation not done, nobody seems to be able to help me.

I made a broadband contract with Virgin in December to be installed in January but I was told that the January installation would not be possible because Virgin required authorization from local authorities to reach the cables in the street to be able to install it so I was given up to 8 weeks of wait time. Several weeks after I tried to contact Virgin multiple times in February for an update and after finally reaching someone that could help me I was told there was some repairs needed but they were almost completed so they scheduled the installation for the 22nd of March. The engineer came at that date and was unable to install my broadband, he told me that there was a blockage in the waterpipes where the cables are fed through and it hasn't been cleared yet because, turns out, they were still waiting for that authorization (from two government bodies) to be able to get cable to my flat. The property I'm in already has Virgin broadband but we are unable to share with the tenant that has the contract because the wifi simply can't reach our flat and moving the router was out of the question because the tenant informed me that it would cost around £100. I also tried a wifi extender and it didn't work. The engineer told me he couldn't simply extend the cable through my flat because he can't drill through other's people's walls and using their cable was essentially like stealing their wifi so we require another cable into the house. The following days I attempted to contact virgin but people could not understand me despite me speaking clear and proper English and kept transfering me to other departments like a game of hot potato. I was transfered and put on hold more times than I could count, the calls lasts almost an hour and nobody could give me a clear answer, the only thing I got was that I would have to wait a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks (again) if it gets to that it means I will be waiting half a year for installation. This is completely unacceptable, I got no clear answers and I feel left out. I even mentioned several times that I will search for better offers from other providers but nobody seemed to care that they will lose a customer. This is the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I would like a solution for this problem because waiting half a year to get broadband is completely unheard of in a first world country. I've tried to call the pre-install team but it takes a miracle for them to pickup, I've waited almost an hour and when they do pick up it takes another miracle for someone to understand what you say and actually try to solve the problem. I ask again, do I really need to wait half a year to finally get broadband?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation not done, nobody seems to be able to help me.

Hi AlexPT

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know about the installation issues and the subsequent construction work that is necessary in order for us to get you connected

My apologies that this needs to take place before we connect you and that this is the second time these delays have been advised.

I have escalated this for you to the area manager and I'll be back in touch with them with an update on this for you as soon as they get back to us about this for you.

We'll keep you posted.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

you say VM is in the property but you cannot share with the tenant because the wifi is not good enough

translating that it would seem you have permission to share with them so look at it from there - moving the hub would as you say cost £99 but with the state of the wifi on all the hubs you may not get a good signal and may degrade what your tenant now sees as good 

powerline adapters are a possibility but doubtful they would work as the 2 properties will be on separate elec supply - the best option i can see is if its possible to route a lan cable from the VM hub to your property - without any knowledge of the layout of the 2 properties its impossible to know how practical that is but if it could be done then you could then site your own wifi access point to give good wifi and 4 or more lan connections

the comment about using their input cable and spurring off to you and effectively stealing their BB is complete rubbish - thats not a standard install but is certainly done - the existing cable is certainly ok to carry BB to your neighbor and you - its done without permission on an infrequent basis and will not impact on either input if done correctly 

you certainly have alternatives the best short term one is in your hands is the other party agrees

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi AlexPT

Many thanks for allowing us the time to support you with this.

Just to advise I have re-escalated this this morning to get some further feedback for you on this as there has been no update since I messaged about this last week.

My apologies about this.

I'll let you know as soon as I get a response.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi AlexPT

Thanks again for allowing us the time to look into this for you.

One of our engineers has attended the property yesterday and fed back that this is being looked into for you to see if this is a possibility. He has confirmed if this is the case the works would have to be completed in the very early hours of the morning due to how busy the road is. That is providing the partner contractors agree to do this for us and there are no further limitations on us getting this done during unsociable hours that I we may be currently unaware of.

The routing via the shop that was mentioned, has been looked into and rejected as a possiblility so this is not an option we can consider.

I’ll keep you posted on what the partners say regarding this and when I know more I’ll be back in touch.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey AlexPT

I appreciate your patience with this.

I've reflagged this back to the teams for an update for you as they were chasing this for me to see if this is something we can support.

Due to the holidays and reduced opening hours for many sites over the Easter period it may be the end of next week before I get an update for you, and additionally I am off after today until the 25th.

I am happy to continue to chase this for you on that date if you are okay to wait till then.

If not if you could call in and speak to the teams to see if they can support you via 0345 454 1111.

Many thanks, have a wonderful Easter and hope to speak to you on the 25th when I return with a further update Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos