Menu
GuyKat
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Install Nightmare

My experience of trying to get my home connected is a nightmare.  I can't help but think virgins subcontractors are taking them for a ride at my inconvenience.

I bought my new house in February.  It's a new build.  It was sold as 'fully ready for virgin media'.  There is a duct pipe from the virgin cabinet (8 meters away) right to the side of my house next to where the cable will enter the house.  There was a pull cord from the cable chamber next door through the duck ready to be attached to the cable in the pipe.  Next door are already hooked up without issue.

I signed up the day we completed. (over six weeks ago).  I chose a date a week ahead.  Virgin rang and said they need to do a site survey first, fair enough, this was about three weeks later.  Whoever came along simply spray painted some green paint next to the top of our drive and apparently reported back that new digging would need to be done and I was told they'd have to ask the council and it would be months.  After much time on hold, I got through to someone with common sense and explained that the ducting was already in place (Which the first guy hadn't clocked).  They said they would send someone for a second survey.  That time I was in - they sent someone on his second week on the job (on his own) who new less about it than me.  He pulled the pull chord out the duct (without attaching the cable at the other end) and looked perplexed.  Nevertheless he took some pictures sent them to his boss, and said the install would be fine - it just needs the cable pulling.  The install was booked for tomorrow.  Today, I got a phonecall saying that they have decided they need to do a redig and need to ask the council permission again. I'm sure this is much more lucrative for their subcontractors then simply repulling a cable. They say a minimum of another six to eight week wait.  This is nonsense!  If they opened the chamber for me I could pull the cable through in minutes.  We finally move into the property in three weeks - it looks like depsite three months prep we will be without broadband, phone and TV.  BT do not do fibre, and I work from home.  This is going to impact our lives.  If it was possible to speak to a human, rather than call centre people who just follow procedure based on what the computer says I'm sure we'd be on in minutes.  But as it is, we're stuck....  I don't know if anyone has had a similar experience and can offer advise - or if any customer service people are on here who speak to humans and can bypass the computers if the computers are wrong.....  Any help from anyone appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Install Nightmare

cannot help with the saga but what you are getting or hoping to get is a domestic service - you mention working from home - you might be better and get a better response if you looked at the business package - not sure on prices but it has a dedicated team that 'might' just get you a cable pulled - i assume but may be wrong that they can supply tv and phone

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi GuyKat, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community Smiley Happy 

I'm sorry to hear you've been having a nightmare getting things sorted ahead of you moving in to your property. 

Taking a look at the account today I can see there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel and you are in contact with an agent.

If you have any further issues or need us to chase anything, come back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
k2017
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have had the exact same issue (please see the post i just put up). Please do respond to me within the next 24 hours, otherwise I will be cancelling my subscription and looking elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

as VM staff take 5-7 days to reply you'll be looking somewhere else unless you call in you wont get a reply in 24 hours.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi k2017, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about the less than perfect journey so far Smiley Sad 

I have already replied to your thread here: WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND RUDE CALL CENTRE STAFF

Please make sure you are only posting once about your issue. We understand it's frustrating when something's not right however posting more than once about the same fault makes the boards look busier than what they actually are. It also means we could take longer to reply due to needing to sift through duplicate posts.

Have a look at my reply on the other thread and stick with that one so we keep all the information in one place. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos