cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

@beanie wrote:

Will we all be ok on World IPv6 day June 8th, 2011?

The only reason I ask is I cant load these sites:

http://www.v6.facebook.com

http://ipv6.google.com

Thanks,
David

Hey David,

You should be fine. The reason you can't access those sites, is that you need to have a v6 address before you can view a v6 website. The big players are running a dual-stack network, which basically means that they run both v4 and v6 websites at the same time. Your browser is then directed to the correct version of the site.

I think that the idea behind IPv6 day, is that many sites are switching their v6 service on for the first time, or running a full v6 service for the first time. It doesn't mean that the v4 site will disappear completely.

HTH,

Paul

James_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi beanie,

Could you please let us know if the information provided by fellfromatree helped with your query?

Regards,

James Gilbert

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us

It's likely that ALL sites out there today will still be reachable in 10+ years using IPv4..

Virgin Media will have more than enough ipv4 Addys to give out to customers until they go bankrupt and nationalized...

The issue (as is, and as will be, that VM will not talk about) is new startups that are ipv6 Only.. Lets not forget that startups such as Myspace, Youtube, and LOTS of broadcasting sites are fairly new. 

The ISP doesnt care right now because customers aren't impacted.  Sadly (with VM) this means that they will probably migrate when half the userbase is ticked off because they cant reach some new fangled site that's in Alexa's top 10..

Then they'll start doing catch-up and tell us how hard they are working for us ;P...

The equipment VM has listed before shows that their headend should be ipv6 compliant, most of the modems and routers they provide are compliant (with patches), so if VM says they are not ready, then it means that their core fibre network must not be ready :/...

Spooky thought that.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

beanie
Dialled in

Thanks alot for the replys, I gave kudos to those that helped.

I thought I would have been auto subscribed to the thread but thats not on as default, so changed the setting.

It seems my D-Link DIR-615 and Netgear WNR2000 doesn't support IPv6 anyway, but as people have said they can probably relase firmware updates.

IPv6 is new to me so this thread makes a good read 🙂

The D-link DIR-615 does have ipv6 support, although aparrently some revisions of the firmware are buggy.

Look at the datasheet for the dir-615:

ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DIR-615/DIR-615_ds.pdf

it even has an ipv6 ready logo at the bottom!

The netgear it seems does not by default, but you could install a third party firmware like dd-wrt or openwrt on it to get ipv6 support.

My D-Link looks different to that thou, it looks like this:

http://images04.olx.com.pk/ui/10/07/67/1291646004_108620067_2-Pictures-of--D-link-wireless-router-DI...

Mine says hardware verson D4. Unfortunatly my WNR200 is abit bust, it randomly reboots itself!

I created a tunnel here: http://tunnelbroker.net then copied the command to the command line and rebooted Win 7, but it doesnt seem to do anything. Anyone got some tips please?

Pretty sure WNR2000 is IPv6 compliant. I could access IPv6 sites when I had mine with no extra config.

Regular ipv6 (GRE) tunnels like tunnelbroker.net won't work properly behind NAT...

Might need to either route the tunnel to your router (assuming it supports it), or look into using a teredo tunnel (windows 7 usually tries to enable a teredo tunnel by default, but it doesnt always work).

I just tried it and didnt seem to work 😞

This is the result from my ip config:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : cable.virginmedia.net
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2122:c28:c86c:4c6b%11
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Tunnel adapter isatap.cable.virginmedia.net:
   Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : cable.virginmedia.net
Tunnel adapter IP6Tunnel:
   Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : cable.virginmedia.net   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2122:c28:c86c:4c6b%11   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Tunnel adapter isatap.cable.virginmedia.net:
   Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : cable.virginmedia.net
Tunnel adapter IP6Tunnel:
   Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Looks like it's trying to use teredo?

I have no idea how I would route the tunnel to the router!