cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

bert64
Joining in

IPv6 will at some point become a necessity, although Virgin may have IPv4 to spare this is not the case everywhere and sooner or later companies wanting to host things on the internet will simply be unable to get IPv4 space... And before this happens, v4 space will become extremely expensive.

Big players are finally starting to take notice of ipv6, google is available over v6, as is facebook, yahoo will be soon etc, and in the US the government is demanding that their suppliers support v6 and actually use it, so the likes of cisco, brocade etc now have ipv6 sites up...

In terms of home users, a small number of ADSL isps support v6, but the number of routers which support it is extremely limited... Virgin are actually far better placed in this regard, the traditional cable modems which simply bridge you can easily handle ipv6, and the new superhubs being shipped out also support v6 (i believe ipv6 is a requirement for docsis 3 certification)...

What would be good, is for virgin to at the very least start offering an ipv6 trial, i'm sure there are a fair few users, myself included, who would sign up and help test a v6 service.

Note that i'm not advocating removing ipv4 support, but i do believe ipv6 should always be offered alongside v4 these days. Sooner or later ipv6 will be essential and ipv4 a very expensive burden, so the sooner ipv6 is rolled out the better.

I am a home user with an NTL 250 cable modem and my PC is running on Windows Vista and Firefox browser.  Will I need to change anything for IPV6 ?

Hello

The modem / router will need changing the OS is already IPv6 capable.

Mike

Thank you.

lfmoncur
Joining in

Well it is official now, no more IPv4 address, with the internet growing, we don't want to be left behind. Some of the big sites will be testing thier pages in IPv6, including google, facebook and yahoo.

If we want to keep up, the router firmware will need to be updated to support IPv6.

Any reply virgin?

Mark_Wilkin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Whilst we already have enough IPv4 address space for our current network needs, as part of ongoing network upgrades, we have been looking at making our network ready for IPv6 connectivity. There are many factors which need to be worked through to ensure a seamless experience for our customers but we anticipate we will progress with initial stages of IPv6 deployment at some point during 2012.

Thanks

Will we all be ok on World IPv6 day June 8th, 2011?

The only reason I ask is I cant load these sites:

http://www.v6.facebook.com

http://ipv6.google.com

Thanks,
David

Anonymous
Not applicable
ipv6 day will not be ipv6 only its a dual stack test.

i can access them 😛 get a tunnel from he.net

@Mark_Wilkin wrote:

Whilst we already have enough IPv4 address space for our current network needs, as part of ongoing network upgrades, we have been looking at making our network ready for IPv6 connectivity. There are many factors which need to be worked through to ensure a seamless experience for our customers but we anticipate we will progress with initial stages of IPv6 deployment at some point during 2012.

Thanks

Sadly this is the same line we have been spun for years.  No one with technical experience must be allowed to look at IPv6.  They only look at it in terms of IP Allocation to Users, and NEVER look at IPv6 CONNECTIVITY to the internet.  New sites started up later this year may not have an IPv4 address block so we (the users) will in essence be blocked from these new services.

Perhaps when Mr Neal said that Neutrality was "B O L L O C K S" he was looking forward to where IPv6 will be used to send out more webtv and thought that would be a great thing to delay?...

I know that BBC Went to VM to try multicast trials and VM said they didnt wish to give users that service!

IPv6 CONNECTIVITY needs to be put in place, at least 4to6 tunnels in all of the major routing points.

Even google (who VM has given most of their services to) has made the switch to IPv6.  Initial stages should have started 5 years ago when we were asking for it... Not in 2012 when some websites will only be rechable via IPv6.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Anonymous
Not applicable
still think facebook should go ipv6 only. then all isp will rush to add support and the first isp to get ipv6 working will get every uk user 🙂