Menu
westie13
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I am new to Virgin and need to know how to connect my tv etc

I am new to Virgin and need to know how to connect a panasonic HD tv that is about 5 years old, a blu ray player, a sound bar, an amazon fire and a virgin tivo box. Is it possible to connect them all and if so what do i need and in what order do I connect them please. Back in my day we just had tv through a roof aerial and am totally baffled as to what goes where. Would be grateful for any advice but please in terms for the oldies please.

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I am new to Virgin and need to know how to connect my tv etc

Hi westie13,

That would be fine, you can unplug the optical from the TiVo® and put it into your soundbar.

Also, a HDMI splitter is a great idea! You can then set up all of your devices at the same time. In the mean time, you can plug in either the Amazon Fire or the Blu Ray player, then switch them depending on which one you want to use at that time.

Let me know how far you get and drop me a message if you get stuck.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

hiya @westie13 welcome to the virignmedia community forum, well on the TV that would connect via HDMI port, you only need to connect the Tivo to the hub if you want to use Tv anywhere, e.g. to watch TiVo on devices such a tablet, laptop, PC etc.. to setup this up could take a look at -> http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=4297&CURRENT_C...

as for the sound bar/blu ray player this will connect via HDMI to the TV, would be good time to read the manuals on these, if you need us to provide a guide would need to know the make/model of the devices..

as for connecting the amazon fire would need to check for wireless connections, connect to your network as shown on guide -> http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE... enter the wireless passphrase (aka wireless password) and should connect, some older devices might have trouble connecting, but can alter settings to fix it.

hope this helps

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
westie13
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

At the moment all we have is the router connected to the tivo box and the tv as we use 2 desktop pc's via wireless broadband. But we want to add the soundbar, the amazon fire and the blu ray so we can use those as well. We are not bothered about watching anything in other rooms or on other gadgets just all through the tv. All we need other than that is to connect to the internet which we already have done. I will take a look at the links you sent and see if I can make sense of any of it. Thank you for the fast reply.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi westie13,

Welcome to the Community.

Great post from paultechy! How did you get on with his advice? Have you connected all your devices to the TV?

Josh

westie13
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh,

I did take a look at the link but to be honest I found it very confusing. It did not seem to be what I need. I am not wanting to watch tv anywhere else but just connect my devices to the one tv that we watch. I think Hubby and I are getting too old to take in all this technical stuff. So the soundbar and amazon fire I bought him for Christmas still sit in the boxes. I have searched the net to see if there is anywhere that shows how to connect everything but not had any luck yet. With sky they gave you diagrams of all devices and how to connect them and the last time we did this was years ago. Hopefully they will not still be sat in their boxes next Christmas still.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi westie13,

I'm really sorry to hear you're still having trouble setting up. I'll take you through it all and see if we can work it out!

Firstly, let's get the TiVo® connected to the TV. Take a look at this setup video and just ignore the activation parts (connecting the TiVo® to the TV starts at 2:15 into the video).

Here's another great setup video showing you How to connect your Amazon Fire Stick.

Give these a try and let me know if you hit any problems.

For the soundbar I'll need a little more information. Can you tell me what the make an model of your sound bar is?

Look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

westie13
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh

Just had a look at all the devices I need to get connected and they are as follows.

Panasonic Viera Plasma TV Model TX-P42U10B

Kitsound Ovation sound bar

Sony Blu Ray BDP-BX58

Amazon fire (not the stick)

Virgin Tivo

At the moment we have just the tv and the virgin tivo connected to the router via optical lead. We have 2 desktop computers that connect via wifi but we don't need to have anything apart from the internet on those as are in another room. But would love to get all the other things connected so we can use them. Any help would be so appreciated as we are both in our late sixties and do not know where to start. We do not know whether it all runs off the TV or from the Tivo box.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi westie13,

No problem, we'll get this sorted!

First, lets connect the TiVo®. All you need to do is run a HDMI lead from the rear of the TiVo® to the back of the TV set.

Let me know when you've done that and we'll move onto the next step.

Josh

0 Kudos
westie13
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The tv and the tivo are already connected.Smiley Happy

So what comes next, thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi westie13,

Excellent, we're on our way!

I've looked up your new TV and it appears to only have two HDMI ports. The soundbar can be connected to the TiVo® via the optical port, so that leaves us with two devices and only one available HDMI port left (that's with the TiVo® already plugged in).

Have you got an optical cable to set up the soundbar?

Josh

0 Kudos