Menu
finbarRRR
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3, no ethernet cable in box

New 'boy' here so please be tolerant.

I've just opened the box containing the Hub 3 and found that the ethernet cable is missing. I have an ethernet cable currently attached to my old modem and router and so my question is this. Can I use that ethernet cable with Hub 3 and my router? As there should have been an ethernet cable in the box (according to the installation book that came with the Hub), I'm unsure as to whether my current cable will be suitable/compatible or if this missing ethernet cable is an upgraded version.

Trying to get through to a human on the 'phone via 150 for an answer is damned frustrating!

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3, no ethernet cable in box

You use the existing ethernet cable

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Look at the writing on the cable. If it says Cat5e it will be good for 1Gbps. If it says Cat5, then you should press for the correct cable to be sent to you.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
whyowhyowhy
Up to speed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The point is that the box says there should be an ethernet cable IN the box.  I didn't get one either.

Fortunately my old one worked but the fact remains that if they say there's one in the box there should be on in there.

Or change the wording in the box. 

0 Kudos
finbarRRR
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

An update on this missing cable. After giving up on trying to speak to a human (via 150), today a Virgin Media van conveniently pulled up outside a neighbour's house. I went out to him to ask if he had 'a more direct' phone number that I could use. I explained my situation including whether my old cable (with a Cat 5 rating) was suitable or did I need a Cat 5e as mentioned earlier in this thread. His response basically was that all ethernet cables were the same. He went to his van and gave me a new cat 5 cable which I have now put into place. So, thank you to him.

Thank you all for your replies (if the Cat 5/Cat 5e comment from the Virgin Media man was incorrect or not totally accurate, please don't shoot me down).

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If it's Cat5e cable (1 Gig capable), it'll be written on the plastic sleeve. All Ethernet cables should have a type printed on the sleeve. Anyway, VM wouldn't provide mere Cat 5; they're not that dumb.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:
If it's Cat5e cable (1 Gig capable), it'll be written on the plastic sleeve. All Ethernet cables should have a type printed on the sleeve. Anyway, VM wouldn't provide mere Cat 5; they're not that dumb.

Absolutely ... bit of wet string is much cheaper.    Smiley Very Happy

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

finbarRRR wrote:

. His response basically was that all ethernet cables were the same.

he should be promoted to work in the offshore call centre - they treasure brains like that over there . with all that tech knowledge he could make it all the way up to script writerSmiley Happy

http://www.cableorganizer.com/telecom-datacom/patch-cables-boots-plugs.html

Cat 5 is the slowpoke of the bunch. It can handle 10/100 Mbps speeds (Fast Ethernet) at up to 100 MHz bandwidth. That's a lot of numbers, but what it means is "slow and obsolete". New installations don't even use it, and it's on its way out, sadly...that's sadly for the cable, not for you.

if you are  on any >100Mbs package, and have a good quality PC with Gb ethernet, then a cat 5 cable will limit your hub -> PC speed. you need 5e or better.  A step above Cat 5, it can handle 1000 Mbps speeds (gigabit Ethernet) at 100 MHz.

good news is you can get 5e for about £1 per metre from amazon.

if all you have is last gen consoles, Xbox360, PS3, then it won't matter as they don't do Gb speeds anyway, nor do they need to 

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Fast forward to 2016 and why would you be buying anything less than Cat 6a for future proofing.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

er because 5e is all you need for Gb speeds.

cat 6 for future proofing maybe and I buy that already as I am as gullible as the next nerd... and it's cheap as chips

but 6A - what could you possible need that for ?

A Cat6a cabling system is higher performance than Cat6 (500MHz v 250MHz) and designed to support 10GBase-T over the full 100 metre

... so when my premium bonds come good I'll run some around the new mansion & the grounds Smiley Happy

0 Kudos