Menu
Notverytech
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3. What if you do not use wifi?

I have been offered the new Hub 3 from Virgin Media. Actually, it seems my old modem will stop working at the end of april.

I do not own a single device with wifi, you can call me oldskool if you want.

How difficult or easy is it to use the Hub 3 with just an ethernet cable from the Hub 3 too a pc?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
mossman
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3. What if you do not use wifi?

Notverytech wrote:

I have been offered the new Hub 3 from Virgin Media. Actually, it seems my old modem will stop working at the end of april.

How difficult or easy is it to use the Hub 3 with just an ethernet cable from the Hub 3 too a pc?

You can log into the Hub3 and turn off the two wireless networks. Simple job. Smiley Happy

Then connect your Ethernet cable to one of teh four posrs, and the other end to your PC.

Job done!

As another poster indicated in another thread, it looks like your area is being fully upgraded to Docsis3, which means that older modems which cannot support that standard will stop working. So you need to bite the bullet I'm afraid.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sounds to me like VM are frantically trying to get rid of warehouses full of the utterly useless Hub3 which should be put on a large bonfire.   If it were me, I'd tough it out and stick with what you've got but then I am an anarchist by nature.   Smiley Wink

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
mossman
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Notverytech wrote:

You can log into the Hub3 and turn off the two wireless networks. Simple job. Smiley Happy

Then connect your Ethernet cable to one of teh four posrs, and the other end to your PC.

Job done!

As another poster indicated in another thread, it looks like your area is being fully upgraded to Docsis3, which means that older modems which cannot support that standard will stop working. So you need to bite the bullet I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

also if you use in modem mode you dont get wifi from it either.

0 Kudos
mossman
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

also if you use in modem mode you dont get wifi from it either.

But you would really need to buy your own router (and also switch off the wifi there) in order to maintain security (other you would have a direct connection to the internet via a single port with no NAT, no firewall, and no routing functions). So no benefit but some serious drawbacks!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

all standalone modems should of been replaced years ago. You must be one that got missed.
You will need to get the upgrade but there should be no charged for this. If you do not you will lose internet access when the system is switched to docsis3
Notverytech
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the replies and advice everyone.

I have cancelled delivery of an Hub 3 box, need sometime to think. Virgin Media was actually going to charge me £14.99 to take delivery so i'm kind of glad i posted here first, something is not right about that. Free means free, i'm disappointed with them on that one.

All the best

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

if they think you are upgrading from another working bit of kit they will charge its to stop everyone demanding the latest and greatest. Sure one of the forum team here can arrange a new SH for you
0 Kudos
mossman
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
if they think you are upgrading from another working bit of kit they will charge its to stop everyone demanding the latest and greatest. Sure one of the forum team here can arrange a new SH for you

Agreed, but in this case it's a forced upgrade so there should be no charge at all - someone from the forum team should definitely look at this

0 Kudos
Notverytech
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for replies and advice.

Being a customer for 10 years and the fact that this is a Forced Upgrade i'm more than a little disappointed with Virgin Media. Unfortunately this does seem to be a growing trend today, even bigger companies seem to value newer customers more, often at the expense of long time customers.

Decided to have a cooling off period, think about all options and newer possibilities, even considering using wifi. Not sure i like the idea of the Hub 3 though. Are all the negative stories for this device real or exagerated?

Appreciate all your replies and advice.

0 Kudos