Menu
Seffrid
Superfast
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 upgrade queries

I've been happily using the old ntl:256 modem for years, serving 2 desktop PCs (Win7) with wired connections via a Linksys WRT54G router (cable connected, with wireless connectivity disabled). The speed is only 20mbs but that's fine for my gaming and other needs and I rarely download anything of any great size. I have no interest in wireless connectivity. For me, consistent performance is more important than speed and I've had no issues for several years.

Now I'm being told by VM that if I don't upgrade to the Hub 3.0 by the end of next month my broadband service will be terminated.

First, is this really the case? I can understand that if and when my modem breaks down it won't be possible to replace it other than by an upgrade to the current setup, but do they really terminate the service now if you don't upgrade when they say so?

Second, I have in any event ordered the replacement hub so that I am able to install it if required to do so, but does it offer the level of consistency I am looking for without creating latency and disconnections where there are none at present?

Third, I gather that my options are to run the hub in router mode with both computers connected to it, or to use modem mode and connect my own router to the hub. I am at present using Cat5 ethernet cables, will they do the job? Will my existing router be up to it? Is there any preference given that I use the computers for in one case occasional office-type work (although retired so it's voluntary work rather than business-oriented) and in the other case for regular gaming (not ping-critical shooters etc but online role-playing games such as Elder Scrolls Online, Secret World, Everquest 2 etc.

Finally, I have an old-fashioned approach to electrical appliances and for both energy-saving and fire-prevention reasons always switch off my modem, router, and computers at night or when out during the day. Is this still practical with the hub or are there significant disadvantages in doing so?

I'm not totally stuck in the past and am more than willing to upgrade to the latest gear if there are good reasons to do so, but I'm always a tad sceptical where "progress" is concerned, as the newest thing isn't always an improvement on something that continues to work well.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance with these points.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 upgrade queries

Frankly you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. VM are switching of the broadband signal that is compatible with your modem. They can't keep running old tech when they are running it side by side with the latest version. When they switch off if you haven't upgraded your service will end.  Just do a like for like modem swap. All will be well. The speed upgrade is well worth having. I was on 50Mb and noticed a distinct difference when I got the free u/g to 70Mb. And as for switching the modem off when away you can do what you like. I prefer to leave mine on. The power consumption is so low it doesn't matter. I do however power down my laptop at night.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Seffrid
Superfast
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks HowardML for the reply. I fully understand what you're saying, and now I've got the new hub I hope it will be as simple as you suggest!

However, before I start the installation process I have a couple of further queries please:-

First, bearing in mind that my present modem is an old ntl:256 model, it has a 10dB Forward Path Attenuator connected between the coaxial cable and the modem, should I retain or remove this for the new hub?

Second, I intend to use the new hub in modem mode with an ethernet connection to my existing router - there is no mode switch on the hub itself, is that found in some sort of software setting on the (Win7) computer once it's all installed?

Third, I don't intend to make any use of the wireless function at all, does that need to be disabled in any way e.g. for security purposes?

Many thanks to anyone who can answer these points.

0 Kudos
stuart345
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The new hub does not need attenuation and even the 4 db splutter can be removed as eell if desired unless you also need the cable for tivo or sat box. Itherwise jusr go with instructions on install pack. Regarding ethernet you should just connect and if needed the router has wps button( similar to mode switch) else just click connect to network and follow network set up connection on computer. Lastly you can turn of the wifi by 192.168.0.1 if needed but the default virgin connection password is not easily cracked, so should not be a worry.
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

With regard to the attenuator, check the downstream power levels on your new Hub. If the power level is 9 dBmv or higher, then put the attenuator on as 10dBmv is the work/won't work threshold.

Keep us posted.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Seffrid
Superfast
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both, extremely helpful replies.

I've not touched the new gear yet in part because of these queries but also because I've been reading here about the current delays in activation. Hopefully, in any event, VM don't deactivate the old modem without simultaneously activating the new one. The last thing I want is to be without a connection, not least because, as I made clear in my original post, this is very much an unsolicited upgrade following several years of 100% consistent reliability which given all the shenanigans I've experienced previously in my time with CableTel, Ntl and VM I have greatly appreciated and am reluctant to put at risk!

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
stuart345
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If worried about upgrade leave spkitter in place and connect both modems. You can switch of old as VM enables new. Failure of activation means you can swap back to old( ntl250) until engineer is sent to fix problem. This may set mibd at ease. The fact your line is active already really shoyld mean it ought to only take a switch on and reboot to have modem active. I may be in error vut it is the lines that are enabled /disabled more than the router which is preprogrammed. Activation really just has like a handshake- detects modem and speed and vetween servers and modem sets settings on server end for you.
0 Kudos
Seffrid
Superfast
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

stuart345 wrote:
If worried about upgrade leave spkitter in place and connect both modems. You can switch of old as VM enables new. Failure of activation means you can swap back to old( ntl250) until engineer is sent to fix problem. This may set mibd at ease. The fact your line is active already really shoyld mean it ought to only take a switch on and reboot to have modem active. I may be in error vut it is the lines that are enabled /disabled more than the router which is preprogrammed. Activation really just has like a handshake- detects modem and speed and vetween servers and modem sets settings on server end for you.

Thanks, but I don't have a splitter. However, if there is a delay activating the new hub I can always reconnect the old modem until that is disabled and then connect the hub assuming it is activated at that point.

0 Kudos
Seffrid
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:
With regard to the attenuator, check the downstream power levels on your new Hub. If the power level is 9 dBmv or higher, then put the attenuator on as 10dBmv is the work/won't work threshold.

Keep us posted.

Update, as requested Smiley Happy!

I installed the new hub today, seemingly without any issues in that the internet is fully available with the service as before.

By coincidence, I had a phone engineer out last Friday and mentioned the new hub. He recommended that as the line currently had an attenuator on it I should at least start with it on the new hub and see how it went. I have followed that recommendation. I haven't yet accessed any settings page to see what is going on - that aspect seems to be totally excluded from the guide sent with the modem but I assume from the online help page that it's a case of pointing the browser to 192.168.0.1 and checking/changing things there as necessary. I haven't felt the need to do that, and the ethernet connection seems fine as is without any need to make any switch to modem mode. At present the hub is connected to my original router which is in turn connected to both my computers. I have no interest in wifi.

One remaining question - when turning off my computer, monitor and hub as I do when going out or at night - can I simply turn off the hub at the wall socket or should I position it so that I can easily access the on/off switch at the back of the modem first? Will it risk damaging the hub if it is merely switched off and on again at the wall socket?

As for speed now I have a better modem, I tried to check whatever speed upgrades might be available under "My Virgin Media" but it told me that I could only find that out over the phone, and although I accepted the prompt for "Live Chat" and filled in the details no response was forthcoming so I'll have to ring up some time.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

On the remaining question - the wall socket will do fine.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)