Menu
mitch84
Superfast
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 questions

Hi

Been with VM for ages and have tivo and 100bb package. (possible 200bb in near future)

I still have a SH1 in modem mode connected to an Asus n66u router.

I switched to this method due to the poor signal and general crapness of the SH1.

I dont use any special features on the N66U, just like it for its overall performance and stability.

Is the HUB 3.0 a worthwhile upgrade for me and potentially a way back to removing the n66u altogether?

I love my n66u but would prefer just the one device.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 questions

hiya @mitch84 i would be sticking with the asus n66u, the hub 3 has better wifi than the hub1, but doubt it would beat the asus for range/speed
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Raxx
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I recently was swapped out from a SH1 to a SH3 and I hate it, the SH1 was more reliable and I did use the additional configuration options. I had no issues with my SH1 it seemed a reliable little unit. I believe the SH1 & SH2 are Netgear devices whereas the SH3 is an Arris device. SH3 is very buggy and limited config as documented on the forums. I'm actually thinking of going to a two device setup with this SH3 in modem mode due to its limitations but with my SH1 I only had the one device in router mode. Horses for courses but personally I think SH3 is poo.

mitch84
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ah!

I was hoping for positive comments on it, really want just the 1 device, I hate all the wires needed to run two devices under my TV.

Looks like I would need it as well if I upgraded to 200mbps, and Ive read reports of flakey connections with the hub3 in modem mode.

Thanks for the responses though.

0 Kudos
Raxx
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I know what you mean, I can't even say try it because if you don't like it then not possible to go back or even to a SH2 which I believe is the happy medium. I was told by the tech on Friday he would not put a SH2 in for me to replace the PooHub3 and the SH1 when they take them out is melted down to make new Peugeots (my personal joke lol)..........

0 Kudos
mitch84
Superfast
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I asked the question in the big hub3 thread I found, but if and when the modem mode issues are fixed I will happily upgrade to the hub3 and keep it in modem mode.

0 Kudos
sja
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm someone who had been using the SH1 for 5 years as a single device in router mode and been happy that it worked well enough for what I was using it for.... but 2 months ago I upgraded to the 200mb/20mb service (You actually get 220/22) and so I got upgraded to the SH3 as apparently the SH1 can't do these new speeds.

I was very disappointed in the SH3, very flakey and buggy with features missing that the SH1 had, upnp and port forwarding not working properly and even modem mode having problems, I would have said stay clear of an SH3 upgrade.... however.... just this week a new firmware has finally been rolled out to all SH3 customers and I think many of the really bad problems have been fixed to the poiint where I'm once again happy to run the SH3 as a stand alone device in router mode.

I have to say it's early days of the new firmware so I can't be sure if all the problems are fixed, but so far all of the reasons why I was initially dissaponted with the SH3 do seem to have been resolved to a point where I have something equivalent to my old SH1 - which itncludes it's ability to respond to ICMP echo requests (ping) while the firewall is enabled for using the thinkbroadband ping monitor (although this is now permanantly enabled, you can''t disable it, but I'm happy with that as I personally would not want to disable anyway).

bfn.

0 Kudos
Raxx
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

sja wrote:

I'm someone who had been using the SH1 for 5 years as a single device in router mode and been happy that it worked well enough for what I was using it for.... but 2 months ago I upgraded to the 200mb/20mb service (You actually get 220/22) and so I got upgraded to the SH3 as apparently the SH1 can't do these new speeds.

I was very disappointed in the SH3, very flakey and buggy with features missing that the SH1 had, upnp and port forwarding not working properly and even modem mode having problems, I would have said stay clear of an SH3 upgrade.... however.... just this week a new firmware has finally been rolled out to all SH3 customers and I think many of the really bad problems have been fixed to the poiint where I'm once again happy to run the SH3 as a stand alone device in router mode.

I have to say it's early days of the new firmware so I can't be sure if all the problems are fixed, but so far all of the reasons why I was initially dissaponted with the SH3 do seem to have been resolved to a point where I have something equivalent to my old SH1 - which itncludes it's ability to respond to ICMP echo requests (ping) while the firewall is enabled for using the thinkbroadband ping monitor (although this is now permanantly enabled, you can''t disable it, but I'm happy with that as I personally would not want to disable anyway).

bfn.

Hi, what firmware is on your SH3? I need to check against what I have. Mine tried to do an update a few days ago but failed due to a corrupted file. Thanks.

0 Kudos
CicAndrews
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Be warned the new SH 3.0 software has not been rolled out to all areas yet. 

I have set up similar systems in three different locations with different providers.  In each place it took me a few minutes to set up the connections so that everything worked to MY requirements.  It was simple to set up. 

I plugged in the new SH 3.0 hub a few days ago and spent an afternoon wondering why nothing worked FOR MY SET UP.  Then I found out that the SH 3.0 had serious networking issues - AND HAS HAD THESE ISSUES FOR OVER A YEAR WITH NO FIX. 

My advice is hold off getting the SH 3.0 until the new software has been rolled out to all areas AND people confirm it resolves these serious networking malfunctions in the previous releases. 

0 Kudos
sja
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Raxx wrote:

Hi, what firmware is on your SH3? I need to check against what I have. Mine tried to do an update a few days ago but failed due to a corrupted file. Thanks.

9.1.116V

And to the previous poster who said it's not rolled out to all areas yet, try turning the hub3 off and on again to see if you get the update, it will take much longer to get the update if you don't power cycle the unit.....  If you don't get the update, it has apparently been promised by the end of this month for everyone.