Menu
the-D-
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 problems

First off let me say hi, just joined :-)

I'm having major problems with my hub 3, I've been reading up on it, including here and it seems widely known that due to its firmware it's ultimately broken.

I have the vivid 200 package and with the super hub 2 I was getting the speeds up and down as advertised, however, I had to return the hub 2 for a hub 3 and now I am getting speeds as little as 2 Mbps down ( everything said so far is through my ps4)

I have tried tech support from virgin who tried port forwarding to no avail, I've tried customer services to try and get a hub 2ac sent out, no joy there,...I'm paying £43 for a service that (through hub 3 to ps4) is not fit for purpose.

Now they are telling me I need to put the hub3 into modem mode and buy a new router :-/

I like the service virgin provides, but at this point I don't know what to do,...any suggestions would be appreciated 👍

Helpful Answers
LdGallifryan
Dialled in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3.0 problems

Well, the guy called Scott that, I spoke to on 150, Told me the issues i was having could be either Corrupted Firmware or Corrupt Software or that theirs something wrong with the software.. or it could be Something to do with the Server the Hub talks to.....

In Scotts words over the phone "The server could be Confused and may need Rebooting to solve issues with the Server not recognising that the hub doesn't or does need a new Wan IP address.. or that the signal its sending to all the Superhub 3.0's on the network.. might be getting all the information but its only halve getting it.. so it just resend all the data. Restart of the Server will Restart Everyone's Hubs connected to that particular Server.. but it would need a Network Engineer to call it.."

But, anyway, Sometime hopefully Soon it will get sorted.... I have had the Issues for over Two Weeks.. and only Recently in the Last couple of Days they've (Virgin Media) Recognised that its there End, The Firmware/Software that is at Fault Or ??Or Their Server??

I am also wondering if a reset would sort the problems everyone that is having these issues.. will it sort it out.. most likely.. but only a temporally fix.. Make it Behave itself..? Highly Possible..

God Knows.... But Do Note... (Might not be Effecting Superhub 2,2AC or even the Superhub 1)

0 Kudos

All Replies
LdGallifryan
Dialled in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hey mate,

i am with you on these problems.. getting a new Router will not sort the issues out!!!!

200 Vivid User + Superhub 3.0 User Myself!

Apparently Right now.. theirs issues with the Firmware or the Software in the Superhub 3.0. so it means either Mode you put it in (Either Router or Modem Mode) it will still be Unreliable..

The issues are only effecting Some Customers.. Including ME.. I use a External Router (Asus RT-AC3200) and my modem (Superhub 3.0) is always Restarting itself.. Disconnecting me on all my devices.

Only thing i can Suggest is to contact 150 and ask them to ask a Network Team to Restart the Server the Hub talks to.. Or wait till the Firmware - Software is updated.. (NO ETA) as of yet.

0 Kudos
the-D-
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Restart the server? What will that do?

Oh, and thanks for replying 👍

0 Kudos
LdGallifryan
Dialled in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well, the guy called Scott that, I spoke to on 150, Told me the issues i was having could be either Corrupted Firmware or Corrupt Software or that theirs something wrong with the software.. or it could be Something to do with the Server the Hub talks to.....

In Scotts words over the phone "The server could be Confused and may need Rebooting to solve issues with the Server not recognising that the hub doesn't or does need a new Wan IP address.. or that the signal its sending to all the Superhub 3.0's on the network.. might be getting all the information but its only halve getting it.. so it just resend all the data. Restart of the Server will Restart Everyone's Hubs connected to that particular Server.. but it would need a Network Engineer to call it.."

But, anyway, Sometime hopefully Soon it will get sorted.... I have had the Issues for over Two Weeks.. and only Recently in the Last couple of Days they've (Virgin Media) Recognised that its there End, The Firmware/Software that is at Fault Or ??Or Their Server??

I am also wondering if a reset would sort the problems everyone that is having these issues.. will it sort it out.. most likely.. but only a temporally fix.. Make it Behave itself..? Highly Possible..

God Knows.... But Do Note... (Might not be Effecting Superhub 2,2AC or even the Superhub 1)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

LdGallifryan wrote:

Really you shouldn't listen to people on 150. They are NOT technical at all and spout all kinds of BS. 

Scott has just confirmed he knows nothing about how cable networks work and is making it up.

p.s. My hub 3 has worked fine since I got it last September. There are issues with the current release of the firmware (I'm on the hub 3 firmware trial and know in detail what the issues are), but only a few people (relatively speaking) are affected by it. Usually those on an Arris CMTS and running the hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

the-D- wrote:

First off let me say hi, just joined :-)

I'm having major problems with my hub 3, I've been reading up on it, including here and it seems widely known that due to its firmware it's ultimately broken.

That's a matter of perspective. My hub 3 works fine, exactly the same as my SH2ac, which I run in parrallel. Firmware issues don't generally affect speeds on the Hub 3. There are some known connectivity issues every 30 minutes reported for some people, but only if you're in an area with an Arris CMTS (which you may not be). Most things people complain about are the GUI.

I have the vivid 200 package and with the super hub 2 I was getting the speeds up and down as advertised, however, I had to return the hub 2 for a hub 3 and now I am getting speeds as little as 2 Mbps down ( everything said so far is through my ps4)

You are testing speeds on a PS4? That's a bad idea as you'll only be testing Sony networks. Run this test a few times on a PC connected directly to the hub via an ethernet cable and post the results: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

I have tried tech support from virgin who tried port forwarding to no avail, I've tried customer services to try and get a hub 2ac sent out, no joy there,...I'm paying £43 for a service that (through hub 3 to ps4) is not fit for purpose.

Port-forwarding makes no sense for a general speed issue. Or are you only having problems through the PS4?

Have you tried switching the hub's firewall off?

Now they are telling me I need to put the hub3 into modem mode and buy a new router :-/

Did they give any reasoning behind that suggestion? I run my Hub 3 in router mode and it works fine. The issues I know about are with modem mode not router mode (unless my memory is failing me). Is this a wifi issue? Do you get good speeds via ethernet cable?

What you say doesn't really explain where the problem is, as you don't say how you're testing and don't provide any context. So quite hard to make suggestions.

I like the service virgin provides, but at this point I don't know what to do,...any suggestions would be appreciated 👍

To start, log into the hub on http://192.168.0.1/ and copy-and-paste or post pics of the downstream, upstream, configuration and network log stats from the router status.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

After posting the stats I would also suggest setting up a BQM to monitor your connection: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

That will show whether you're affected by any connectivity issues.

Post a link to your LIVE graph and don't forget to turn the hub's firewall OFF, so that the graph will NOT be solid RED.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

the-D- wrote:

Good question.

It would disconnect tens of thousands of people who don't have Hub 3's (people on Superhub 1, 2, 2ac and legacy modems) in a postcode that are connected to the same Arris CMTS.

It would disconnect the vast majority of people who have hub 3's but don't have any issues.

Modems cannot all come online at the same time, so most people would be offline a good while. 

Does that make sense to you as a solution?

That really sounds like BS.

0 Kudos
LdGallifryan
Dialled in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

MUD_Wizard wrote:

the-D- wrote:

Good question.

It would disconnect tens of thousands of people who don't have Hub 3's (people on Superhub 1, 2, 2ac and legacy modems) in a postcode that are connected to the same Arris CMTS.

It would disconnect the vast majority of people who have hub 3's but don't have any issues.

Modems cannot all come online at the same time, so most people would be offline a good while. 

Does that make sense to you as a solution?

That really sounds like BS.

You don't even know how long since theirs been a Server Restart or a Replacement..

How can you say its a BS Solution.. Usually the best Solution is the most Extreme one or the one that is Under your Own Nose!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

LdGallifryan wrote:

You don't even know how long since theirs been a Server Restart or a Replacement..

How can you say its a BS Solution.. Usually the best Solution is the most Extreme one or the one that is Under your Own Nose!

Because I understand the technology, which is much more like a TV station broadcasting hundreds of channels than a Web server that can simply be rebooted without losing everybody their Internet and probably their Digital TV channels too in an area. It wouldn't be necessary to reboot a CMTS to remove Hub 3 modems as you could do it with one command, without any fallout to other users. Doing so wouldn't resolve the issue though.

I know the Hub 3 specific issue of reboots every half hour in modem mode has been resolved on the trial firmware 9.1.116V which I've had since mid July, and is now going on pilot to the public in a couple of cities:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Hub-3-0-port-flapping/m-p/3187183#M11328...

0 Kudos