Menu
aceofspace1980
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 flashing Green LED light

Hi all,

I have recently moved address and followed all the steps by virgin media but my Hub 3.0 has a flashing Green LED light at the bottom ( this is normally white) and won't let me connect to internet. I called virgin about this but said they will need to send an engineer to check it. They gave me a date for the 17th Sept, this means two weeks with internet which is like loosing a limb. Not very happy about this but don't really have a choice. However the reason I am posting today is because virgin refuse to tell me what this green light means nor can I find any info on the internet anywhere which explains why. If anyone has more expertise than the virgin media ( helpful ) tech heads then could you please post here and help me understand what the issue is and why my manual doesn't mention anything about this ????

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 flashing Green LED light

The green flashing light on the Hub 3.0 means there is no signals getting to the hub from the VM Network.

Flashing Green is Modem Looking for Downstream Signals to Lock to.

If its Solid Green and the internet light flashing Green then you have no Upstream Lock.

If its Solid White (Internet Light Solid Green for 2 Mins then Off) then your Modem is On Line in Router Mode.

If the Light is Solid Purple (well close to purple) then the Hub Is Online in Modem Mode.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
aceofspace1980
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Brill Thanks Tidus,

Now wouldn't it of just been easier for them to tell me that in the first place lol.

I'm guessing ( now I know this ) that the "wall connection" is too old for this hub, after all it does say "cable wireless" on the box in my front room.

I will just have to live like a cave man until an engineer can get to me Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Claira42
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

We bought the black (Vivid 100 contract) 3.0 hub yesterday from Lakeside (Essex) and went through the routine of practically forcing the white cable into the back of the hub and the other end into the wall socket which clearly states (push not screw) on both ends of the cable. The Indian operator at the other end of the connection freephone number asked for a long number that was clearly on the back of the hub before the connection could be turned on. There is about five sets of long numbers on the back of the hub which we both went through one by one and the man told us that none of them were helpful to him.

It was then decided that after we practically forced both ends into the corresponding sockets, that he could easily turn the connection on from his end without the numbers??? By this time I was having a heart attack because I had to try and make a connection by physically holding the wire that goes into the back of the hub with my hand, because for all my might, the cable would not push or screw into the back on the hub with any force I tried to put on the pin section. Only at the last second did the cable finally fall into place, how, I still don't know to this day. Virgin need to send a engineer out to help mentally and physically challenged people in this situation because we did everything the book and operator told us to do, but we were all at a loss as to why it was not an easy connection as stated. 

After a while, the operator said to me that the connection had been made and the hub was working fine and I said my thank you's and we ended the call. I watched the connection lights go through their phases and the bottom light went white as suggested and all other lights did not appear anymore.

I then went through my processes of connection from the wifi to my phone, laptop etc in the home,when I got a quick sign on my phone saying "No connection to the internet" even though the phone said it was connected to the hub. I looked at the hub and the white light had been replaced by a steady green flashing light and no other lights could be seen. All my devices said that I was connected to the hub but all reported the no connection to the internet was made.

So, I contacted Virgin again and got a message that an engineer had been booked for next week. Is it because our virgin connection box is also not suitable for this new 3.0 hub or the connection wire itself? More information would be very much appreciated by Virgin over this phenomenon, especially if this is the case for all older wall boxes. Is this the reason why you have to physically force the cable onto the hub and wall socket because last time all we had to do was simply screw the cable in place without any force whatsoever???

A connection video and possible causes and diagnostic to the user would be a great way to stop people worrying that they have broken the fibre optic cable on connection too.

Come on Virgin, get into the 21st century with this problem and speed up your information like you are speeding up the broadband infrastructure. I will update as soon as possible.

Hopefully the video I have uploaded will show you what I am getting at the moment. Any information you have before the engineer arrives next week will be very helpful and grateful.

https://www.facebook.com/david.sargent.733/videos/1420312254657136/

https://www.facebook.com/david.sargent.733/videos/1420312254657136/

0 Kudos
aceofspace1980
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Claire

I had to wait two weeks for an engineer to visit me and was then finally told that the router had died.

Once replaced my connection was restored.

Oh and they still charged my for the two weeks I had no internet.

probably not much help to you but this was how they resolved the issue.

Claira42
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply. I am already having two months taken out at the end of April.I just hope that I am not being charged for the engineer like BT do. I did everything I could do at the time.

You Tube and Virgin should show video's on this as there is nothing to go on. Hub fault or not.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Claira42 wrote:
You Tube and Virgin should show video's on this as there is nothing to go on. Hub fault or not.

They have the odd one or two here: https://www.youtube.com/user/VirginMediaHelp/videos

That said, I can't see one for the hub 3 but there are plenty here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=virgin+super+hub+3+setup

Dave.

0 Kudos
Claira42
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post. The video's are just the one's I was searching earlier. Still doesn't help, but thanks anyway.

I brought out my old hub 1 from 2006 and it does not connect either, so they have either turned it off at the source or the cable is broken somewhere.

Oh well, lets see how much this costs me.

0 Kudos
Claira42
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not sure it's the hub as I was able to log in, change the password and check the 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz with no problem. I hope they don't change the hub as I have configured a few things and it all worked even without a internet connection. So weird.

0 Kudos
Claira42
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Someone has just sent us a text saying "Let's get cracking We've sent the signal to your home and everythings ready for you...." So, we turned it on again and the same flashing green light is there, so we are back to square one.

Is this just a generic message or does someone know about our problem?

We have just tried plugging it in again and it seems that the white casing is stopping us putting the wire further into the wall socket. We are getting a solid white light at the bottom and a solid green light for wifi but a flashing green light for the arrows.

Any idea what this means? We still cannot connect to the internet though.

0 Kudos