Menu
PNall
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 Up Grade

Hi I have just received a letter from Virgin saying that if I do not upgrade to a Hub 3.0 by 30th April my old bit of broadband kit will stop working and that Virgin will close my account and send me my final bill.

I have tried several times to go to the web page stated in the letter (virginmedia.com/hubupgrade) but every time it states they are working on the site..

If I was to upgrade to this Hub 3.0 would my mouthy bill increase yet again..

I only want the broadband and not the telephone or TV package.

Thank you

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 Up Grade

by upgrading to hub3 the bill will not increase and that website is working for me

this is what it says at the bottom of the page

HubSwap: If you do not upgrade your old broadband kit with a new Hub 3.0 by 30th April 2017 it will stop working. We are upgrading your current broadband kit for a new Hub 3.0, for free. QuickStart: The Hub 3.0 is required to be installed through QuickStart. During busy periods it could take us longer than 30 days to deliver your new Hub. If we are unable to offer you the delivery date you have chosen, we will book the next available date and advise you via email. Further Legal Stuff applies. Go to virginmedia.com for details. General: Registered office address: Media House, Bartley Wood Business Park, Hook, Hampshire RG27 9UP. Registered in England and Wales No. 02591237.

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

DavidJWalker wrote:
by upgrading to hub3 the bill will not increase and that website is working for me

this is what it says at the bottom of the page

HubSwap: If you do not upgrade your old broadband kit with a new Hub 3.0 by 30th April 2017 it will stop working. We are upgrading your current broadband kit for a new Hub 3.0, for free. QuickStart: The Hub 3.0 is required to be installed through QuickStart. During busy periods it could take us longer than 30 days to deliver your new Hub. If we are unable to offer you the delivery date you have chosen, we will book the next available date and advise you via email. Further Legal Stuff applies. Go to virginmedia.com for details. General: Registered office address: Media House, Bartley Wood Business Park, Hook, Hampshire RG27 9UP. Registered in England and Wales No. 02591237.

Err whats this about mandatory upgrades?

There is no reason they can't support both hubs on the network and the hub 3 is NOT fit for purpose and i refuse to use it on security and technical grounds and last i checked, there was no clause in my contract that states i have to upgrade my perfectly working hardware

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

shanematthews wrote:

There is no reason they can't support both hubs on the network and the hub 3 is NOT fit for purpose and i refuse to use it on security and technical grounds and last i checked, there was no clause in my contract that states i have to upgrade my perfectly working hardware

They are upgrading the infrastructure and the old modems will cease to work at some point.  There should be no costs involved.

You can run the Hub 3 in modem mode so no difference to the old stand alone modems.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Adduxi wrote:

shanematthews wrote:

They are upgrading the infrastructure and the old modems will cease to work at some point.  There should be no costs involved.

You can run the Hub 3 in modem mode so no difference to the old stand alone modems.

You mean apart from the utter crap that is the modem inside the SH3 not being fit for gaming and unless VM are also going to pay the costs of a standalone router to make up for their MITM abomination of a router i don't think this is acceptable in the slightest

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

As you don't own the superhubs and they are 'rented' from VM, they can do what they wish to invalidate the older tech.

They only seem to be ditching anything prior to a superhub1 so the really really old stuff.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Currently the system is running on a hybrid DOCSIS 1/2 - DOCSIS 3 setup, which is actually inefficient for a number of reasons.  So they look to be getting rid of all the older modems off the system so they can move to a pure DOCSIS 3 setup.  This means everything before the Superhub 1 will stop working.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

other word if you do not change your modem or routers to the new tech they can cancel your contract then you can look into other providers and with my connection i play online with superhub 3 and it depends on the game you play WoW is crap with vm and i don't play WoW i do play on final fantasy xiv online on a usa server and i don't get problems what you all have you all compalin about noning to be honstly say or go to more expeise provider like bt then if they can't support your very old modem anymore and vm and any other provider is trying to keep up with the new tech then get over it or move to a other provider if you out of the contract then it no loss to you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

"other word if you do not change your modem or routers to the new tech they can cancel your contract"

Do you can't. As the modem/routers belong to VM they can change them free of charge anytime they feel like it. It is not your modem/router and you have to have compatable equiptment, If you refuse to accept the replacement you are breaking the contract and will have to keep paying for it or pay to cancel early
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

yea anything you get from providers is owned by the providers that can change them and they can get rid of old routers on there networks and change them to compatable equiptment. If you refuse to accept the replacement you are breaking the contract and will have to keep paying for it or pay to cancel early. and providers can do this without you knowing it. its all under your contracts about the modem/routers belong to VM if its free of change to replace your old modem/routers for newer tech why all the compalin about the newer tech can handle more speed then the old modem or routers and they remove the old speeds and replace them with faster speeds and that old modem is over 9 years old by now and maybe can't handle the newer faster speeds that vm brings out then say out of date and if you don't do this free upgrade they can cancel your contract you all should read the contract about the vm equiptment and you do not own them vm does and rented to you under your contract teams

0 Kudos