Menu
Barnabylee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How will virgin set my house up?

So I'm moving to VM next month we'll probably. But I'm wondering how they'll install fibre in my house. Firstly my house has never had virgin. We've lived here 25 years. And all that time we've had a phine connection with BT and more recently we've had standard broadband not fibre has FTTC is not available in our area despite being on the outskirts of London and the road parallel recovers it but anyway. So excuse the joke but we're virign virgins. As far as we can work out they dig a trench install a brown wall plug on the outside and on the inside there's a white box with a coax socket. Then this splits one coax goes to the set box the other to the hub. Then we totally lost. How do the phone sockets work. Has we've got no previous virgin sockets. New ones will go in but what do they connect to?

im new to the forum and I'd really appreciate advice from people who know what there talking about. Either people who've had this issue and people who know about virign equipment. 

Thanks in advance 

Barnaby 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How will virgin set my house up?

Hi Barnaby,

The VirginMedia cable is actually 2 cables joined together.  The thicker cable is a coaxial which carries the broadband and TV signals.  The thinner cable is the twisted pair wiring needed to supply VM's own telephone landline and the installation engineer will install a new phone socket for this service (nothing to do with BT / Openreach.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They can split the two cables apart.  In my case I have the thicker broadband cable coming through the outside wall into one room to my Super Hub, and the thinner telephone cable takes a different route outside and comes in through the outside wall into a different room ... thus very little wiring congestion inside the property.

You just need to stand over the installers and make sure you get what you want on the day.

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You should be able to get the hub installed where you want it. Nezt to or under the TV is not a very good place to instal it. Ideally it should be installed in a central open position away from obstacles and electrical equipment for the best wireless coverage.

Walls provide significant obstacles to wireless signals, so a fairly powerful signal is required from the hub to get a decent 

The Hub's are basic entry level routers which does not give great wireless coverage, compared to a decent third party router. For reliability, you really need to connect to the hub by ethernet cable as wireless can be affected by many factors like Range, Client Hardware. Wireless Interference. and the Yopography of your home.

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Barnabylee wrote:

Hi there thanks for the reply. Starting to get a good idea about this. If I want my hub placed next to my computer on the other side of the house. Could they do it with a external coax cable instead of having wires inside my house?

cheers 

Barnaby

Within reason they can bring the cable through an outside wall wherever you want.  In my case I had the broadband cable enter on one side of the flat and the telephone cable enter on the other side.  This did entail tacking the telephone line around two external walls and frankly it's not a pretty sight.  I had hoped that they would be able to run it round under the eves of the roof but they said they were not allowed to work at that height.

Any way, in my case they brought the broadband cable through the wall of the bedroom and terminated it in a small white omnibox inside.  From there they provided a long run of white coax which runs into the neighbouring computer room and attached to my hub.  The phone line was brought in through a hole in the lounge and terminated in the usual phone wall socket, so no internal wires visible at all.

You do need to stand over them to make sure the cables go exactly where you require.

Electron

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Barnaby,

The VirginMedia cable is actually 2 cables joined together.  The thicker cable is a coaxial which carries the broadband and TV signals.  The thinner cable is the twisted pair wiring needed to supply VM's own telephone landline and the installation engineer will install a new phone socket for this service (nothing to do with BT / Openreach.

Electron
Barnabylee
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for the reply great info much appreciated.
Does this mean VM will put a second wall socket for the thinner phone wire some where else on my house or will there lay a load of cable indoors?
Thanks Barnaby
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They can split the two cables apart.  In my case I have the thicker broadband cable coming through the outside wall into one room to my Super Hub, and the thinner telephone cable takes a different route outside and comes in through the outside wall into a different room ... thus very little wiring congestion inside the property.

You just need to stand over the installers and make sure you get what you want on the day.

Electron
Barnabylee
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok great. The last thing I want is thousands of miles of wiring round my skirting board. Ok great i have a good idea now.
Sorry to be a pain but I'm still a little confused on another issue. My hub will be situated next to my tv this'll mean a wireless connection to my main computer on the other side of the house. How reliable would this be currently I have tv and our wifi is always cutting out randomly. I'll be taking up the vivid 200 package. And the one thing in my house that I 99% of the would want to work is the computer. Considering the hub will be next to about 5 different tv connected boxes. And there's 2 modestly thick walls that the signal will need to travel through. I'm wondering if this'll affect the reliability of the wifi. How reliable is virgin cable? does it ever randomly cut out? What's the range like? In this case could a power line connection be useful?
thanks again
Barnaby
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You should be able to get the hub installed where you want it. Nezt to or under the TV is not a very good place to instal it. Ideally it should be installed in a central open position away from obstacles and electrical equipment for the best wireless coverage.

Walls provide significant obstacles to wireless signals, so a fairly powerful signal is required from the hub to get a decent 

The Hub's are basic entry level routers which does not give great wireless coverage, compared to a decent third party router. For reliability, you really need to connect to the hub by ethernet cable as wireless can be affected by many factors like Range, Client Hardware. Wireless Interference. and the Yopography of your home.

Barnabylee
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there thanks for the reply. Starting to get a good idea about this. If I want my hub placed next to my computer on the other side of the house. Could they do it with a external coax cable instead of having wires inside my house?

cheers 

Barnaby

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Barnabylee wrote:

cheers 

Barnaby

Within reason they can bring the cable through an outside wall wherever you want.  In my case I had the broadband cable enter on one side of the flat and the telephone cable enter on the other side.  This did entail tacking the telephone line around two external walls and frankly it's not a pretty sight.  I had hoped that they would be able to run it round under the eves of the roof but they said they were not allowed to work at that height.

Any way, in my case they brought the broadband cable through the wall of the bedroom and terminated it in a small white omnibox inside.  From there they provided a long run of white coax which runs into the neighbouring computer room and attached to my hub.  The phone line was brought in through a hole in the lounge and terminated in the usual phone wall socket, so no internal wires visible at all.

You do need to stand over them to make sure the cables go exactly where you require.

Electron
Barnabylee
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for the reply.

one last thing do virign offer a pre install visit and would I have the chance to cancel if the proposed wiring work wasn't to my taste?

thanks 

Barnaby

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There is a 14 day money back guarentee period where you can cancel with no need to give a reason.

Not sure about a pre instal visit. Usually only two visits are required. The First visit to cable your home to the nearest street cab, and the Seond visit to install your services.

0 Kudos