Menu
Liveammo
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How to increase upload speed

I had too many problems with superhubs over the years. The wifi was never consistent. Recently I was sent a new Hub 3.0, though some improvements were noticeable, the main problem remained. When it works it works great but constant hang ups and slow speeds were enough for me to purchase a 10m long ethernet cable for my main laptop (temporarily, as I plan on purchasing a third-party router). It's been 3 days now and the internet is working perfectly! Not one problem! 

I am getting 166mb download speed, which is a massive difference! Problem is I only get 9mb of upload speed. We take a lot of pictures and videos and have these uploaded but with that speed it takes more time than it should. How can I increase upload speeds manually or if these are capped by VM, is there a way to increase the limitations?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to increase upload speed

The upload speed is 10Mbps on the 150Mbps package, you will need to upgrade your package to get more upload speed.

Ethernet will always outperform a wireless connection as wireless is affected by many external factors like Range, Client hardware, Interference and the topography of your home.

0 Kudos
Liveammo
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have already upgraded packages over the years, the upload speed used to be more than what i am getting now. Is there a way I can stick with my current plan and then request higher upload speeds.

I am aware ethernet performs far more realistically in terms of broadband allowances but I have had a whole string of history with Superhubs when it comes to wifi. In the past, I purchased a Tenda cheap router which solved initial problems. When I had the hub 2.0, I had taken an old Netgear router from our office which solved the issues but some time later stopped working. Now with the 3.0 I am having same problems and yet again planning on buying a new router.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

upload speeds are locked to each package so as said above the only way to increase it is to go up in download speed - i think the max you will get is 20meg  on the highest download package

Tony
0 Kudos
Liveammo
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I just checked other providers too and didn't realise under 20mb being a restricted norm for almost all packages across the board.

I think i'll have to manage with the current plan for now

0 Kudos
Radiat0rrrr
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media seriously need to increase there upload speed. What use is 300mb down with only 20mb up? At least make the upload a tenth of the download. Or, up it to 50mbps like BT's G.Fast. 

With more cloud based technology, an increase in upload speed is a must!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

since within a cmts network its a lot harder to have large scale upload compared to download..one of the limitations of the network.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Radiat0rrrr wrote:

Virgin Media seriously need to increase there upload speed. What use is 300mb down with only 20mb up? At least make the upload a tenth of the download. Or, up it to 50mbps like BT's G.Fast. 

With more cloud based technology, an increase in upload speed is a must!

You want high upload you go with BT, you want high download you go with VM, its pretty simple Smiley Tongue

G.Fast only works in 39 areas across the UK aswell so not really a comparison

0 Kudos
Liveammo
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I feel the same way  - i didn't 'initially' realise the Upload limits were so low with the upgrade to 150mb. Cloud storage for me is a must. especially uploading video files and large image files. I guess it's not the end of the world!

0 Kudos