Menu
LindenB
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How to get a good installation

Hello,

We’ve ordered a VM installation and are looking for a bit of advice on how to get a decent installation.

The previous occupier used Virgin Media, but we have used a provider through Openreach since we moved in.

When the previous occupier moved out it was fairly clear that the cable installation hadn’t been performed too well by Telewest (it all had Telewest’s logo on). The cable hadn’t been dug into the garden; it was pretty much all just snaking around the surface of the soil, the external cable had just been tacked down over the concrete path just next to the front door, and the external brown termination box was affixed mostly (but not entirely) below the damp proof course.

Eventually, the cable in the garden was sliced through by whilst gardening. So, we have a new installation booked for Monday morning (the 16th).

We don’t really want another cable flapping around the garden or running over the path right next to the front door.

Since we are having a new, from the ground-up installation, is there anything we can do to ensure we get an installation that more closely follows the installation standards?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to get a good installation

you can talk to whoever turns up but i see problems - i am pretty sure VM will have the address down as cabled so the tech who comes will be there just to do internal work - he may join the external cable at the cut if it all exists but if not the install will not happen as it will need a new cable pulled from the street cab to your house - the install tech will not do that - thats a different team and that would need to be booked - that may not happen for a number of weeks

The VM people here wil get to the thtrad but that could take a week or more - you need to ring the install team to see what they think exists and what their plans are

Tony
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hey LindenB,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Sorry for not replying sooner! How did your install go yesterday? Do you need me to check anything for you?

Speak soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
LindenB
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather_J and -tony-

Thanks so much for your replies.

Following Tony's advice, we gave the installation/order team a ring.  They agreed that the installation should be rearranged for a two person crew, so we are now expecting installation on 26th January.

Unfortunately, the team weren't able to provide any specific reassurances about the standards of installation, so I'm still just hoping that everything goes OK on the day - I really don't want another cable just draped over the garden wall and left at the surface through the whole garden.

Cheers

0 Kudos