Menu
Uralowl1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How can I replace my Superhub?

Hi there,

So for the past year, I've been having issues with my Superhub. I should note I've had it for about 5 years now, and it's the Superhub 1 model. Used to run excellently, but this past year has seen it getting issues where the connection seems to drop out randomly, particularly when a device is connecting to it, such as turning on a games console or the computer. I've noticed that the lights on the router seem to "misbehave" when this happens, such as the top blue light and bottom green light going completely off for a second or two, and doing this in an alternating pattern while the connection is being iffy.

Usually it's not much of an issue unless I'm on a skype call or something, then the connection drops out for a few seconds. I've noticed the problem seems to get worse the longer the hub has been on for. If it's been on for about a week for example, the drop outs will tend to last longer to the point where wireless devices will disconnect themselves from the hub entirely during the drop out. I've always had to restart my hub when it's been on for 2-3+ weeks before, as it starts developing issues, but nowadays, it seems I have to restart it as often as every 2 to 3 days to get it running normally again.

I also had an issue about 1-2 months ago when the hub just randomly restarted itself and reset all the settings and passwords back to factory defaults. I'm going to assume the age of the hub has something to do with all the issues I've been having.

Anyhow, I was wondering how I could go about replacing it? I was sent a replacement Superhub a year or two ago after I phoned up support when I believed my hub had failed (long story, turned out to be false alarm). I've been thinking of replacing the current hub with that, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about removing the white cable that connects to outside from the current hub, and placing it in the new one. I'm also not sure if it'd just be a simple case of placing it in a new hub, or whether there'd have to be some fancy tech stuff to do to get it to connect to the internet afterwards.

So my question is, is replacing the Superhub something I can do myself, or should I go about ringing up support and booking an engineer to come do it for me?

Helpful Answers
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How can I replace my Superhub?

Yes you can install a SH yourself, providing it's been supplied by VM. They do send out self install packs with the relevant information, cables etc.

However for an existing replacement, it's usually just a matter of unscrewing the co-ax cable from the old SH and screwing back on the new SH.

It's a fairly simple job.

Not too sure if VM will allow you to use a SH you've had sitting in your house for over a year? You can always ring up and ask.

Good Luck !

0 Kudos

All Replies
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes you can install a SH yourself, providing it's been supplied by VM. They do send out self install packs with the relevant information, cables etc.

However for an existing replacement, it's usually just a matter of unscrewing the co-ax cable from the old SH and screwing back on the new SH.

It's a fairly simple job.

Not too sure if VM will allow you to use a SH you've had sitting in your house for over a year? You can always ring up and ask.

Good Luck !

0 Kudos
Uralowl1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I decided to give VM a ring and they told me they can send out a Superhub 3 free of charge, and that I'll be able to install it myself. I just need to ring the activation line once I've plugged in the cable(s).

Seems simple enough, I thought the task would be more complicated.
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

When it's installed, just check your power levels. They should be between -6 to +10 db Downstream and 23 to 51 Upstream.

If it's not within these ranges, you will need to post here, or ring VM,  to get an Engineer out to adjust at the street cab.

0 Kudos
Uralowl1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'll do that.

Now, just an update, I phoned up VM again just a bit earlier, as I'm not sure I'll be in for the next two days to wait for the hub to arrive. I asked when it might be that the hub is arriving, and the person on the line originally told me it should be arriving Tuesday. I was then put on hold on and off several times, and was then told I'd need to upgrade from my 100mb package to the 150mb in order to get the superhub 3, which I wasn't told yesterday. Then I was told I had to have an engineer install the hub, despite being told differently yesterday and just a bit earlier on the same phone call, and the soonest appointment she could make was in early February, on a date when I'm working.

Any idea if this is true or not? All seems a bit odd to me, I've been with VM for about 7+ years now, and the "Quickstart Help" page on the website states that you simply need to have been a VM customer for the past 3 years, and install the kit in roughly the same place as it was before (which I'll be doing).
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

a great deal depends on who you spoke to - if it was offshore anything is possible - bypass them and speak to retentions - 

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos