Menu
Highlighted
Sof
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Holes in the wall for?

Hello,

I am planning to become a new VM customer (Broadband + TV). I called VM today and they confirmed me that VM can be installed in my flat. However because it would be the first time it is installed in this flat, an engineer will have to come to do the installation . The engineer will come a few days before the installation to explain me what he will do.

What can I expect from the engineer? Can I expect any holes in the wall or other things that the landlord may dislike? There is currently Sky (broadband + TV) in the flat if it helps.

Regards

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
MavN81
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Holes in the wall for?

Hi, You will have a VM wall socket installed(like the one below)and that will be the only connection you need for BB and TV, Yes it will be a hole in the wall but the wall socket will cover it and it should be a tidy job.

Sockets in the home 1.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i would be making sure you have permission from the landlord since this might require way leave permission, also how high up is your flat?, since over a certain height need special team to go out to do the work.. and do any of the other flats have virginmedia installed?
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
aCactus
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Might be more than just a hole in the wall and new box as they might have to run a new cable which could have to be connected to cable duct in road so you must get  your landlord's permission for any work like this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

should be free of charge, might take a bit longer to get somebody out to remove it since not a vital job.
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
RidingTheFlow
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sof wrote:

It is what I believed. But let's imagine that he is annoying and asks me to remove everything.

Will Virgin will help when they come back to take the box? And if yes, will I have to pay extra? I looked into their Terms & Conditions and it was not mentioned.

But obviously, the sockets and cables belong to them as much as the box, so they should remove it in theory if asked.

Theoretically, they will remove them free of charge.

In practice, they may protract it for ridiculous lengths of time - because there will be no real gain for them to do so and they will be completely uninterested in doing it promptly.

Therefore, you really need to decide how *certain* you will need to be that landlord will require you to remove sockets, and how are you prepared to chasing VM to remove them after they will keep procrastinating and having no real leverage over them to force doing it in guaranteed time frame, and if you want this potential hassle.

All Replies
MavN81
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi, You will have a VM wall socket installed(like the one below)and that will be the only connection you need for BB and TV, Yes it will be a hole in the wall but the wall socket will cover it and it should be a tidy job.

Sockets in the home 1.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i would be making sure you have permission from the landlord since this might require way leave permission, also how high up is your flat?, since over a certain height need special team to go out to do the work.. and do any of the other flats have virginmedia installed?
0 Kudos
aCactus
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Might be more than just a hole in the wall and new box as they might have to run a new cable which could have to be connected to cable duct in road so you must get  your landlord's permission for any work like this.

0 Kudos
Sof
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. My flat is on the ground floor. I will ask about the other flats
0 Kudos
Sof
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

An engineer from VM came and explained me what they would need to do to install VM in the property. 

They would need to install 2 sockets inside the flat the flat (I have TV + Broadband + phone) and a small hole will have to be made outside the property. The cables will run through the holes to the sockets. 

My landlord is fine but mentioned that he may ask me to remove the sockets and any holes at the end of the tenancy. I do not think he will do it but let's assume that he will. Will VM be able to help at the en of my tenancy if he asks to remove sockets, cables etc ...?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

more than likely will be asked to keep the boxes on the wall since if the next tenant what to get virginmedia installed saves a bit of time re drilling etc.. virginmedia might come out free of charge to remove if asked.
0 Kudos
Sof
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It is what I believed. But let's imagine that he is annoying and asks me to remove everything.

Will Virgin will help when they come back to take the box? And if yes, will I have to pay extra? I looked into their Terms & Conditions and it was not mentioned.

But obviously, the sockets and cables belong to them as much as the box, so they should remove it in theory if asked.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

should be free of charge, might take a bit longer to get somebody out to remove it since not a vital job.
RidingTheFlow
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sof wrote:

Theoretically, they will remove them free of charge.

In practice, they may protract it for ridiculous lengths of time - because there will be no real gain for them to do so and they will be completely uninterested in doing it promptly.

Therefore, you really need to decide how *certain* you will need to be that landlord will require you to remove sockets, and how are you prepared to chasing VM to remove them after they will keep procrastinating and having no real leverage over them to force doing it in guaranteed time frame, and if you want this potential hassle.