Menu
JennyR
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Help setting up Virgin Media Hub 3

Ok I'll start this by saying I'm completely technology challenged. No clue!  I have the new hub and understand the basic instructions BUT I fall at the first hurdle. Instruction 3.1 says grab the remaining blue coaxial cable - problem is I don't have a blue coaxial cable?! I have all kinds of cables including two yellow and a red but definitely no blue.  I daren't even start this.  The problem may be because I have two boxes. The original modem and a second box (wifi) that is attached to that. Does this new hub replace them both? I had a look on You Tube but apart from not understanding the terminology the man uses - in what I am sure is a very good demonstration for anyone other than a complete dimbo (me!) - he only had one box and 3 wires as in the instruction booklet.  I also use the ethernet (phone line?)  line for my PC and keep the wifi for my tablet. I want to keep that set up as my PC doesn't have wifi. Oh quick extra question It says I need to call the automated line in the next 7 days to get my services online but to only do it when ready to set up the services.  So do I have only 7 days from the arrival of the hub to set it up?  

Any help at all will be gratefully received Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help setting up Virgin Media Hub 3

The new hub replaces both the 2 previous boxes you had.

Roughly speaking the coaxial wire that previously connected your old modem to the wall socket will now go from the wall socket to the new hub.

you can get rid of the stuff that went between your old modem and the 2nd wifi box.

if you had any wired connections going to the 2nd box now plug them directly into the new hub.

You'll have to change all the wifi settings on any wifi devices you connected to the old wifi box.

JennyR
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a lot that is a great help. I feel a bit more confident about it now. 

I got everything out of the box this afternoon and where it says to open for additional items - I did and it was empty!  There is no HDMI cable but from what I can see I don't need it to set up the hub so will worry about that later. I shall have another read through and look at what goes where and then on Monday phone them for the installation and bite the bullet and see what happens.  

I have to say the lack of direct help from Virgin is disappointing to say the least - particularly as you have no choice but to set this hub up! The fact that I have something missing that it says is included is irritating as there is no way to tell them! It's fortunate that I can (hopefully) proceed without it. 

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

anyway you have to you have to ring the acticetion line to actice the hub 3 its not plug in and play

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos