Menu
octet
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Help getting Virgin Media in my area faster?

Hi everyone and Happy New Year!

Unfortunately we had to move house just before Xmas and Virgin Media is not available in the area Smiley Sad 

We've been on this network since Blueyonder, then Telewest and ntl:world and afterwards Virgin Media. There's nothing else as reliable and as fast as Virgin Media unfortunately in UK. 

However, we had to sign up with Sky as recommended by VM and we're having a nightmare on a daily basis. 

1. We've been promised over the telephone that we have a guaranteed 18Mb broadband speed, but rarely go any further than 10Mb and it actually works.

2. We've been promised it will be active the day we move in on 16th, several times, only to find out when the technician came to install the new sat dish and cable stuff that takes another week for the broadband to become active.

3. I called them on a daily basis, they're saying it's all fine, while I get:

64 bytes from 2.127.237.163: icmp_seq=1833 ttl=61 time=1696.460 ms

64 bytes from 2.127.237.163: icmp_seq=1834 ttl=61 time=2249.289 ms

64 bytes from 2.127.237.163: icmp_seq=1835 ttl=61 time=2418.889 ms

64 bytes from 2.127.237.163: icmp_seq=1836 ttl=61 time=2495.872 ms

64 bytes from 2.127.237.163: icmp_seq=1837 ttl=61 time=2757.313 ms

64 bytes from 2.127.237.163: icmp_seq=1838 ttl=61 time=3001.412 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1841

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1842

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1843

64 bytes from 2.127.237.163: icmp_seq=1841 ttl=61 time=3013.327 ms

64 bytes from 2.127.237.163: icmp_seq=1842 ttl=61 time=2585.827 ms

64 bytes from 2.127.237.163: icmp_seq=1843 ttl=61 time=2000.979 ms

64 bytes from 2.127.237.163: icmp_seq=1844 ttl=61 time=1216.212 ms

If I reboot the Sky Hub, works fine for 5-10 minutes, then goes funny. On both Wired and Wireless connection.

Aaaaaanyway, last week I got an email from Virgin Media:

-------

Hello Adrian, we’re planning…drum roll…to supercharge WD25 0RY

Here’s some super-good news for you – we’re expanding our network to your area. We’ll do all we can to connect your home so you can have supercharged entertainment, although every now and again we come up against an obstacle that stops us from doing so. But don’t worry, we always do our best to get around them. Our next generation optical fibre will bring speeds of up to 200Mbps right to your home – all thanks to the magic of our DOCSIS®3 cable – making it the fastest widely available fibre broadband out there. Plus with our telly, you’ll be able to tuck into up to 245 channels, including lots of Sky favourites like Sky1 and Sky Living.

--------

Is there any way we could make this happen as I'm at wits end, I can't do any work, any reading, anything at all Smiley Sad I really miss Virgin Media, calling to support once ever 5-10 years Smiley Sad 

Please help!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help getting Virgin Media in my area faster?

Hi octet Smiley Happy 

I hope you're loving the forums as much as you loved having Virgin Media previously Smiley Happy  Welcome to the community and thanks for dropping by!

If the company has messaged you via email regarding the network expansion to your area then that's great Smiley Happy  I appreciate you want to know when where and what about it all and I'd love to be able to help our here, but the way this works is that they will deal directly with the people they know have registered their interest via the Cable My Street link, which I assume you already have done, hence the email Smiley Happy

I apologise I can't give you specifics and dates, but keep an eye on your emails and good luck!

Cheers.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
kpaxm77
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Octet,

Are you connected yet? I see that you posted this message in January. I am eager to know if you have got connected and how long did it take for you after the receipt of the "Drumroll"email.I got a similar email a week ago and we along with around 50 houses are waiting to ditch sky and BT snailband! with 1 mbps speed.Wonder when the day will arrive.

Thanks

LP

0 Kudos
kpaxm77
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen,

We live in an area( in Rugby, Warwickshire) which is surrounded by #virginmedia services. But unfortunately only our area is not connected to any high speed broadband services. I We have around 100 houses in the area and everybody is frustrated about the non availability of high speed broadband. Out speed varies from 0.35 mbps to 2.5 mbps max and scores of times I have kicked my BT router in frustration. 6 Months ago I had collected the signatures of many residents from the area and given a petition to the local MP. The MP contacted the BT Wholesale manager and in reply BT says that they are short of funds in the near future to provide us High speed broadband. I had forwarded the same petition to a Virgin media store manager at Coventry and he assured me that he has forwarded it to the relevant people at VM. 2 weeks ago I received this "Drum Roll" email which said that VM will be in our area soon. But when I called up, VM call centre says that they have no plans. My hopes were elevated when I received the email but after calling VM today, my hopes are dashed. Would you be able to help. I personally can campaign for residents to take up VM if somebody can get in touch with me. I know that at least 40-50% of the residents will immediately switch as soon as you start in this area.

Regards

LP

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
octet
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi LP,

No sign of VM as yet, tried everything possible to get in contact with them to see what can be done to speed things up. 

Meanwhile, I've smashed 2 SkyHub and now on a Netgear Modem which looks like it's going to end up the same way. I'm at my wits end, got 10 years older in the last 4 months Smiley Frustrated

Aaaaaaaargh!!! Virgin Media, PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY!!! 

kpaxm77
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Octet,

I understand your pain and suffering. I am going though a similar situation. My BT home hub is almost broken after being kicked numerous times. Can you imagine 0.35mbps? Call BT and you are on phone for hours with no resolution and the call centre Organisms trying to troubleshoot the PC instead of the line. Now to keep myself calm, I take deep breath and contemplate that there are people suffering from worse problems in various parts of the world. Mine is not so serious! There seem to be no way of contacting the VM people. What I don't understand is that if they had no plans of coming to our area, why would they send the "Drum Roll" email? There should be some way to contact the people who sent out these emails. I had called the VM number yesterday and the guys at the other end told me that they do not see any records of our area being selected for expansion. Then who sent that email? Seems like this forum is also not very useful. Nobody replies. Nobody cares #virginmedia #ProjectLightening

Tags (1)
kpaxm77
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Octet,

just received a call from VM. They say that they can't provide high speed BB in our area. It is a shame really. First they send out an email saying that dear yyyy we are going to drum roll and all those non sense. They raised my hopes a lot and then today shattered them. Well we will have to live with the snail band forever I think. So don't expect them just because you have received the email. They just send them randomly I guess.

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Are you in a 4G area? It might just work out cheaper to ditch the landline completely and use a 4G hotspot instead.
It is possible to get "unlimited" data on the Three* network (they say that there is a 12GB limit for hotspot usage, but I don't know how/if that is monitored) for £20/month on a 12 month contract.

Capture.JPG

* Other networks are available

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
kpaxm77
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mate for the advice. Will have a look. I was having great hopes from Virgin. What peeves me is that they are providing services very near to our property and they could have easily got at least 50+ customers in our area. But for some reasons they wont touch our area. And there is no one whom I can speak to for knowing the reasons. All they have is a cablemystreet which I believe is not that useful as I had run a campaign to get most of the people signed up. Well back to BT snailband

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Britain used to have various cable companies that rolled out in different areas in the 80s/90s. There was an initial rush of laying cable, then the money got tighter/ran out and at that point new housing developments were not being connected (even if existing cable runs went past them, if the stories were true)

Various mergers/buyouts occurred until we eventually ended up with Virgin Media.  They then got bought out by Liberty Global in 2013.

They did announce in Feb 2015 that they were expanding the network, but I don't know if that would include any infill streets that were missed out, or if these were just new areas to be cabled.

Maybe it's worthwhile getting your MP and local paper involved to at least ascertain the reason for being left out - especially if you have shown that there is an interest.

Someone, somewhere will have made the decision on purely commercial grounds, or it just hasn't been made yet at all!

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
0 Kudos