Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17 (14,355 Views)

Green light flashing!

[ Edited ]
Hi
First post here and relatively new Virgin broadband customer
Having issue with router flashing green and cannot sort it. Tried switching on and off but not helping.
I think it's the latest super hub not entirely sure.

Also whilst I'm here - we switched from BT partly due to price increase and mostly because poor speed and wifi range. The engineer for virgin seemed to think this one will be better for reliable signal upstairs but we're still not getting a good connection or speed up there!?!

Hope someone can help
Thanks
Donna
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superfast
Message 6 of 17 (28,504 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by funkin79
‎19-03-2017 22:16

Re: Green light flashing!

[ Edited ]
Hi I use Devolo dLan550 powerline adapters to extend my Ethernet and wireless network. These are not the cheapest but when I first purchased powerlines some years back Devolo were known to be good across more than one ring main and I have stayed with them since. Other makes are available so check on line reviews if you decide to go down this route. I would advice an access point rather than an extender and if you need more than the 2.4G band you would need the dLan1200 from the Devolo range as it gives wireless ac. I am sure other makes are available at less cost so as I said check the reviews.

Edit: The other things you could consider are

Check the VM guide to maximising wifi.
Download a wifi analyser app and check that your neighbours are not using the same wifi channels.
Try moving the SHub orientation and/or position and use the analyser app to help maximise signal strength upstairs.

You could put the SHub into modem mode and buy a router with better wifi coverage. I have not done this so cannot recommend a specific router. Again check reviews if you want to go down this route.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Tuning in
Message 2 of 17 (14,346 Views)

Magically all is back on!? Was someone reading my message and flicked it back on?!
Not sure why there was this loss of internet but seems to be back now thankfully

Regarding my other query, can anyone recommend range extender for improving signal upstairs or and hidden settings on the router which may need tweaking? All is set up as it was left so we've not altered anything manually.
Ps tried a few extenders but no joy with them doing anything. Maybe we've not set them properly?!
Thanks
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17 (14,311 Views)

Also seem to keep needing to reboot the hub. Seems to be intermittent speeds a lot recently which is resolved only after switching the hub off and back on again.
Can someone check to see if there are any issues as it seems to be hit and miss a lot recently. Thought being with Virgin would mean a more reliable internet but it's starting to seem perhaps not

Please can someone assist here?
Many thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 17 (14,280 Views)

Hi funkin79,

Thanks for letting us know about your issues with your internet being intermittent. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and I noticed a number of time outs inside the Hubs logs and I would like to arrange for an engineer to attend and investigate this further for you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17 (14,258 Views)

Thanks I've replied to your pm with info as requested
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 17 (28,505 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by funkin79
‎19-03-2017 22:16

[ Edited ]
Hi I use Devolo dLan550 powerline adapters to extend my Ethernet and wireless network. These are not the cheapest but when I first purchased powerlines some years back Devolo were known to be good across more than one ring main and I have stayed with them since. Other makes are available so check on line reviews if you decide to go down this route. I would advice an access point rather than an extender and if you need more than the 2.4G band you would need the dLan1200 from the Devolo range as it gives wireless ac. I am sure other makes are available at less cost so as I said check the reviews.

Edit: The other things you could consider are

Check the VM guide to maximising wifi.
Download a wifi analyser app and check that your neighbours are not using the same wifi channels.
Try moving the SHub orientation and/or position and use the analyser app to help maximise signal strength upstairs.

You could put the SHub into modem mode and buy a router with better wifi coverage. I have not done this so cannot recommend a specific router. Again check reviews if you want to go down this route.
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17 (14,248 Views)

Thank you for all that information. Will give some things a go. Others I'm limited with like repositioning the hub due to power points and wires etc. Did try look for analyser but most were for windows couldn't see ones for apple.
Thanks again for your help Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 8 of 17 (14,245 Views)

I have an android phone and tablet and there are several free wifi analyser s in the Android Play store. I am surprised there are none in the iPhone App Store.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 9 of 17 (14,233 Views)

This link may help, it is a basic wifi scanner for ios

Tuning in
Message 10 of 17 (14,225 Views)

Excellent thank you kindly once again for your help!
0 Kudos