Menu
donnajunkie
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Getting super hub, anything I need to know?

i presume the set up will be straight forward but any advice would be welcome. I am an existing customer so will I still need to phone to activate? Will it just be a case of connecting it up and switching it on? Will my PC automatically connect and get online? It is an old PC, it runs on windows vista. How well does the wifi work? I ask because I have been using a Netgear router for the wifi for ages and it works well. So I am considering just connecting that to the super hub via Ethernet. It would be easier as everything we have( tablets, mobiles etc) is already set to work with the netgear.

0 Kudos
Stythinator
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting super hub, anything I need to know?

Hi there,

Firstly yes you would need to ring up and get it activated. I would suggest in connecting it up and turning it on before you call so they can send the signal down the line , They will prompt you to turn it off and back on at some point.

Yes your PC will automatically connect and you will be online once the Activation has gone though successful.

Depends which Super hub you are getting , I find the Wifi is pretty good on all them if i am honest.

Once everything is activated you are welcome to go to 192.168.0.1 and Enable Modem Only Mode so everything is run though your own Router as suggested.

Hope the Clear and straight forward advice is help for you.

All the best

Stythinator 

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution.
donnajunkie
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

thanks.

0 Kudos
Stythinator
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You are really most welcome Smiley Happy

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution.
donnajunkie
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Still waiting for it to arrive sadly. So another question while I wait in relation to what was said earlier. Is there any reason why I cant just connect everything up exactly like it is now and therefore be able to have a choice of using the virgin media wifi or the netgear wifi?

0 Kudos
Stythinator
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You sure can have it set up just how you have at the moment. All you need to do is remove the older Modem and install the new Modem in its place

Thanks

Stythinator

donnajunkie
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

finally got it all set up. the delivery bloke didnt come until 3.40pm. i had been sat in all day. it all seems to work ok. i think i am going to give it a few days to see how its own wifi performs before i consider connecting the old netgear at all. i am just a  bit worried about connecting the sky q boxes. thats the last thing i have left to do.

by the way you dont turn it on before you call them. they say in the call that it must be turned of for the activation to work. using the spanner was a pain. while it fits over the cable and you can slide it up that there is a metal casing just before you get to the connector that was a struggle to get the spanner over.

0 Kudos
donnajunkie
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

After giving me two heart attacks sky q is sorted. The sky q mini first said it couldn't find the router and then kicked in a few seconds later, then it said it couldn't connect to the main box but again kicked in a few seconds later. I thought great everything sorted then I remembered the fire stick. I will do that later I think.

0 Kudos
Milmauler
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Interesting, I'm currently on 50MB with the old original superhub and it works fine with my Sky HD box. I get Sky Q on the 29th and was wondering whether to upgrade to the 100 MB and the new Superhub 3, then I've read that there's been a few problems with Superhub 3 connecting with the main Q box reliably.
0 Kudos
donnajunkie
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It seems to work for us but it has only been a few hours. The thing with sky q is the mini box is not connected physically to the dish. It gets its TV via your WiFi from the main box. It worked fine for us on our 9 year old modem via a netgear router and our speed was only 20mb. So I don't think you need 100mb.