Menu
star
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Free upgrade speed

I have had the following message on my virgin page for a while

Hold on tight. Your speed boost is on the way…

Your speed upgrade will be ready to take your connection from up to 152Mbps to up to 200Mbps. It's all thanks to DOCSIS® - the magic in our cables. Look out for it between July 2015 and July 2015

Discover more with broadband

I am still on the 152Mbps and clicking on the find out more button takes me to a pdf about everday call charges

0 Kudos
star
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Free upgrade speed

I am now more confused than ever, the message has now dissapeared and a new one has appeared saying "Your speed boost is ready!  You can power up to a faster broadband right now, no strings, no catches

Already requested the boost?  Well send an email when we have completed the order"

Which now takes me to the order page when I click on it with no mention of whether it is free or if there is going to be a charge, so if I order will I end up having to pay extra for something that was originally quoted as being a free upgrade that was supposed to happen automatically

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you read it all it should mention the free upgrade in the order process.

It has to go through the standard order process as it's an equipment check to see if your superhub is good enough as the 200Mbs package won't work on the older superhub.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
star
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That is it though when you go through to the confirm order page it brings up the message

"We'll email you in the next 48 hours to let you know the exact cost of your order (even if it's free or there’s no change to your monthly bill). Don't worry, if there is a change to your bill, you'll get the very best price we can give you based on the mix of services in your package. And remember, if you change your mind about upgrading, you can cancel your new services within 7 days."

Don't need a new hub as it already tells me I have though correct equipment.

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM's current policy seems to be why make things simple when you can make them really, really complicated.

You should be thankful — a lot of people get a free speed downgrade from VM. 😉

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
SteveDesmond
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm approaching the end of my 18 month contract and I'm wondering if anyone has had an issue after taking this free speed upgrade? I have a horrible feeling that I'll be told 'you took the upgrade and that started a new 18 month contract'. I've been reading through the emails sent to me when I upgraded the speed and cannot see any mention of a contract change but would be interested to hear if anyone has had problems leaving due to their free speed upgrade.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Star, it's there in the writing. It goes through the order process purely for the equipment check and to get it activated.

@SteveDesmond

The free speed upgrade doesn't effect your contract or tie you in to a new minimum term. Any other deal with.

If you are worried, then wait for the forum team to come along and do it automatically for you as it's just a button flick for then pretty much, safes the chance offshore may mess it up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

SteveDesmond
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for helping to put my mind at rest Shafreya. I think that I'm naturally wary of something being totally free, with no strings attached. Having to sign up for the speed upgrade rather than it being automatically applied to everyone made me wonder.
0 Kudos