Menu
scarletp
Up to speed
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Free Hub 3.0 upgrade and speed boost to 70mbps

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

Due to my ancient modem I must upgrade shortly to Hub 3.0 before I lose my broadband. Not too convinced I want the 3 but it seems I have no option if I remain with VM.  

After logging into My Virgin Media I notice that there is a speed boost ready for me from 20 Mbps to 70Mbps and underneath the Order Now button it reads  'Do I need new equipment?'.  The supplied answer states  'No. Your Super Hub can already handle these awesome speeds.'  Incorrect as I don't yet have Super Hub.

I am now wary what to do first - agree to the hub and hopefully manage to get it working, then order the speed boost or does it not matter in which order I do things? Do either of theses actions constitute a new contract?  It appears I always suspect things are not what they seem!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Free Hub 3.0 upgrade and speed boost to 70mbps

Hi scarletp,

Please don't worry about this, we'll do all we can to ease the process.

What you ideally need is for the speed upgrade to coincide with activation of your new Hub thereby preventing loss of connection.

Your current modem cannot handle the upgraded speeds and the new Hub won't activate with the legacy service codes on your account.

Your options are:

• Call Customer Services on 150 (free from a VM landline/mobile) or 0345 454 1111 (from any other phone. Please make sure to stress the fact that the upgrade has to complete only after the new Hub has been delivered to you.
  • Or I can request my colleague, Karen_A, to take a look for you. She's great with this type of thing but you will have to wait until monday as she's not in today. 

Let me know what you'd like to do Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

All Replies
PleasePressOne
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I would contact customer service and explain the situation.  If entitled to a free speed upgrade a router then this can be sorted in one go.

Also, what are you doing still on 20mb? Call up and see what package price they have for you. If you have an old TV plan as well you could save a little.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I would order the Hub first. That's the most important thing to keep your service running. Once that has been activated and installed, you would then be able to opt in to the speed boost.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

scarletp wrote:

.....After logging into My Virgin Media I notice that there is a speed boost ready for me from 20 Mbps to 70Mbps and underneath the Order Now button it reads  'Do I need new equipment?'.  The supplied answer states  'No. Your Super Hub can already handle these awesome speeds.'  Incorrect as I don't yet have Super Hub......

Can you elaborate on exact SACM/Hub model you actually have with your 20/2 Mbps  service Tier?

EG: Depending on your legacy franchise area it was possible to provision 20/2 Tier via Ambit/UBI  (DOCSIS1/2) SACM , Media Hub (VMDG280)  and even SH1/VMDG480?

Assuming you already have whatever w/less router anyway then any migration to SH2 version using either concurrent dual band Router or Modem Mode(with 3rd party DB w/less) on SF70 is likely to be more advantageous longterm than D1/2 SACM/VMDG280 and even VMDG480!  

Problem is that load balancing from migrating legacy Tiers is always potentially going to cause some temporary utilisation issues but that said it typically won't be as potentially noticeable as higher 100/200(300 if available) Tiers!.

Ergo running "mixed(DOCSIS) mode" is less efficient on bandwidth so inevitably ever since DOCSIS3 in 2008 then utlimately legacy D1/2 would need to be eventually redacted or otherwise we'd all be incurring even more increased Tier costs to subsidise infrastructure! Smiley Sad 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

horseman wrote:

Ergo running "mixed(DOCSIS) mode" is less efficient on bandwidth so inevitably ever since DOCSIS3 in 2008 then utlimately legacy D1/2 would need to be eventually redacted or otherwise we'd all be incurring even more increased Tier costs to subsidise infrastructure! Smiley Sad 

Which is what is happening with the modem swap activity due to complete before the end of March Smiley Happy

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
scarletp
Up to speed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi horseman,

Grateful for your reply and hopefully here is the information you asked me for:  My modem is Ambit 256 E08C0  13.00. When it was installed I had someone fit a TPLink wireless 54M router.  So far I have had great coverage with wifi and had very few problems. Speed has been good too.

Apologies but whilst you are obviously very knowledgeable on this topic I am ashamed to admit what you have said goes completely over my head. (It's an age thing). Been dreading the day when I had to replace the modem as I now have a mental block where such technology is concerned.  Now that that time has come I am panicking as do not expect the outcome to be instantly successful and dread the many hours on the phone to get the hub working for me - either with or without my router.  

In layman's terms what I basically wanted to confirm is that firstly I have to accept the 3.0 hub then IF or WHEN its up and running I can accept the 70Mbsp speed upgrade - unless there is a time limit on that? 

I wish there was an option for paying VM to come out and get us up and running.

Regards

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi scarletp,

Please don't worry about this, we'll do all we can to ease the process.

What you ideally need is for the speed upgrade to coincide with activation of your new Hub thereby preventing loss of connection.

Your current modem cannot handle the upgraded speeds and the new Hub won't activate with the legacy service codes on your account.

Your options are:

• Call Customer Services on 150 (free from a VM landline/mobile) or 0345 454 1111 (from any other phone. Please make sure to stress the fact that the upgrade has to complete only after the new Hub has been delivered to you.
  • Or I can request my colleague, Karen_A, to take a look for you. She's great with this type of thing but you will have to wait until monday as she's not in today. 

Let me know what you'd like to do Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

scarletp
Up to speed
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Oh thank you Jen_A.

I am somewhat relieved to hear from you. Yesterday I did order the hub 3 upgrade via the online page suggested in my letter and chose delivery for 20 March although I have no idea if that is definite until nearer the time and I receive confirmation. As yet I have not selected the free speed boost within My Virgin Media so sounds like I made the correct decision?

Regarding the timing of the speed upgrade activation: Your offer to ask Karen_A to 'take a look for me' would be much appreciated as I do not hear well via telephone and rarely use it - so yes please I will take you up on that.

Unless I hear differently I will take no further action.

Regards,
scarletp
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi scarletp,

I think you've made the right choice Smiley Happy

I shall pass your details over to my colleague and she'll take care of you. Enjoy what's left of your weekend Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi scarletp

Thanks for allowing me the chance to look into the speed boost for you Smiley Happy

I've taken a look at this for you and we have been able to add the speed boost onto the request for the new Hub 3 replacement that is booked for you for the 20th as mentioned.

That is a definite date by the way for delivery of the hub for you.

Once the hub is activated following the self-activation guidelines that come in with the pack, your new speeds will update at the same time to the 70Mb.

Let us know if you need anything else and enjoy your new speeds and hub Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"