Menu
JaseB
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Faulty router

My hub 1 router won't power up this morning after switching off last night Have tested power supply and is working fine. Plugging power back in faint red light comes on behind the VM logo then goes out. No lights on and high pitch noise coming out of router so clearly an equipment fault. After half an hour with customer services this morning I now have to wait till 4th Jan for engineer to come out. Refused to send me replacement router as (despite not powering up) a fault on the line is why he can't connect to it?
How reduclus is this?
Appreciate its Christmas and all that but no internet for nearly 2 weeks?
Anyone know if I purchase a second hand router and plugged it in, will it work?

I have autistic son who relies on internet for his entertainment and keeping him calm. 2 weeks of pure hell coming up!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Faulty router

Hi, you can not buy another router to replace the superhub as you would still need the superhub as the modem. Any second hand ones will not be connected to an account and wont work.

Have you got a matching power supply to try as sometimes the the PSU can be the part making the sound and not working. If not try calling them again and see if you get anyone more knowledgable that will just post out a new router.

0 Kudos
JaseB
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thinks for the suggestion, I tried a different PSU.
The router is just dead. Everything the support guy tried failed. What was most amusing was that he just kept saying he couldn't connect to the router. I kept saying that was because it won't switch on! Oh but wait could be a blockage in the line he said. I'll need to sort an engineer.

Guy didn't have a clue.
As an IT manager for an electronics company I think I might be able to tell if something won't power up or not.

Been a customer for nearly 20 years (since NTL days) and this is only the second router I've ever had. Customer service?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

not a lot you can do at the moment - try offshore again if you want to go through their stupidity - it might get you a new hub in the post - i dont think the uk is working tomorrow [tuesday] but worth a try just after 8 that can get you someone in the UK - if you get offshore hang up and try again - or leave it until wednesday again just after 8 

Tony
0 Kudos