Menu
fnky143
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Failed Installation of VM Broadband

I am currently awaiting my installation date to be updated from 'TBC' after a disastrous experience relating to my installation yesterday.

I ordered VM broadband after my street was recently cabled back in July. Pre-installation visit was booked for August 9th from 8am-1pm, the engineers showed up at 17:10. We did a full walk around of the property and everything was agreed. Cable T was located in the main road, so a construction team were needed to lay in ~8m of conduit to a soft dig location with cable routing to the outside wall. Installation was booked for September 15th.

September 10th, a random VM engineer arrives at the house unscheduled and states that no ground work has been done and they were doubtful that an installation would take place. I immediately contacted VM pre-install for an explanation. I was told that a 2-man team was scheduled to carry out the installation and that the construction team were booked in for the above stated works to be carried out. Another VM engineer surveyed the property on September 13th and was nice enough to drop through a flyer through the door with a note stating "ext survey complete, install good to go" written on it. 

On September 15th, I waited patiently for the engineers to arrive between 8am-1pm. They never showed up and no-one contacted me to inform me of any cancellation. I even received texts at 07:30 that morning to remind me that someone over the age of 18 must be at the property. I called the VM pre-installation team around 2pm who told me the request for permission to carry out ground works was issued on September 14th making an installation on September 15th impossible due to a minimum 5-day turnaround for the paperwork.

I would appreciate it if someone would look into my case and contact me, (via telephone) to explain why this happened and how this is going to be resolved. I am now 2 days down spent waiting at home waiting for engineers who may or may not show up within the scheduled times and am still without broadband. It seems very strange to invest capital into an area and fail to follow up on paying clients.

VM reps, feel free to PM me and I will be happy to discuss this further to a hopeful resolution. 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Failed Installation of VM Broadband

hiya @fnky143 bumping here is a bad idea since the forum team work bottom up, so doing bumps just put's it back further.. since it will be a few days/week for the forum admin to reply, best idea to give customer services a call and they should be able to call the construction dept to find out what is happening.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
fnky143
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not to worry. Like many things, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

After many phone calls to the pre-install team I managed to get someone who was prepared to listen to me and kindly forwarded me directly to the construction team. Thankfully, the person who answered was also willing to hear me out and after about 20mins they understood why things were not moving forward.

The initial pre-installation team who visited back in August didn't pass on any information through to the construction team. The person who arrived at the last minute didn't do a proper survey and not only misreported where the main cable T was in the street but request to the local council to put in additional trunking down the street, which was already there. To top it off they reported that another property had a blockage in the trunking and requested a wayleave order to use their connection to connect our house which isn't even close to our property. It would have required a route through several back gardens, which wouldn't have been feasible or cost effective.

After doing a walk through on Google Maps with the construction team rep I highlighted where the cable T actually was, clarified that the trunking would be laid on private property and have sorted all the required paperwork for the contractors to be mobilised. I should honestly work for VM.

TL;DR - Virgin carried out works in our area, didn't update anyone with any up to date information (schematics etc) and relied on unqualified personnel to relay critical information relating to orders.

SOLVED

0 Kudos

All Replies
fnky143
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Bump. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

hiya @fnky143 bumping here is a bad idea since the forum team work bottom up, so doing bumps just put's it back further.. since it will be a few days/week for the forum admin to reply, best idea to give customer services a call and they should be able to call the construction dept to find out what is happening.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
fnky143
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not to worry. Like many things, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

After many phone calls to the pre-install team I managed to get someone who was prepared to listen to me and kindly forwarded me directly to the construction team. Thankfully, the person who answered was also willing to hear me out and after about 20mins they understood why things were not moving forward.

The initial pre-installation team who visited back in August didn't pass on any information through to the construction team. The person who arrived at the last minute didn't do a proper survey and not only misreported where the main cable T was in the street but request to the local council to put in additional trunking down the street, which was already there. To top it off they reported that another property had a blockage in the trunking and requested a wayleave order to use their connection to connect our house which isn't even close to our property. It would have required a route through several back gardens, which wouldn't have been feasible or cost effective.

After doing a walk through on Google Maps with the construction team rep I highlighted where the cable T actually was, clarified that the trunking would be laid on private property and have sorted all the required paperwork for the contractors to be mobilised. I should honestly work for VM.

TL;DR - Virgin carried out works in our area, didn't update anyone with any up to date information (schematics etc) and relied on unqualified personnel to relay critical information relating to orders.

SOLVED

0 Kudos
MoreKS
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi fnky143,

Can you talk me through how you convinced someone from pre-installs to put you through to construction? I can see that's exactly what needs to happen, and I've lost all faith in Virgin actually managing to do that amongst themselves. It's 9 weeks since we've booked for our service to be moved, and 6 weeks since they discovered on our first installation date that the connection has not been laid throughout our street and does not reach our house 'yet' - customer service advised the next day that it would 'take about a week to get the work done' which I realise from reading your extremely informative post that that was utter BS.

We've lost three days leave, and the pre-installs guy, Santhosh, admitted to me yesterday that the work order had actually not gone through several times even thought they keep telling us 'not long' and booking installation dates. Disgraceful way to treat people, and the website still merrily proclaiming that Virgin Media is available in our street which is clearly false.

Thanks

0 Kudos
fnky143
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I started up another thread (link below).

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Installation-Failure-2-months-and-c...

I think I got in touch with construction because I had complained so many times. Their number is 0345 045 0595. I don't think having their number made any difference to me, as they would never contact us, despite all the promises they gave.

Despite my experience, I DO genuinely hope you get to a resolution and you don't end up in the same situation as we did.