Menu
nigeats
Tuning in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

FEED FROM NEIGHBOURS JUNCTION BOX

Is this really the correct way to have an installation?  I don't live in a block of flats.  I live in a residential semi-detached house.  To my mind its a botch job.  Quick and easy install.  It surely will sap each others signal strength and speed.  My line in comes via the next door neighbours junction box from where they get their feed in from the main cable on the road.

I was disconnected all weekend cos they didn't know what my cable was and apparently their speed and connection improved so I am told.  I would rather have my own direct cable from the street feed rather that be on a spur feed from neighbours.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
spell
Well-informed
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: FEED FROM NEIGHBOURS JUNCTION BOX

I think that 'their box' is with the meaning of their connection and this play on words merely detracts from the point of the post.

It would be a shame if bad feeling continues with your neighbours - you are both victims and need to maintain a united front.

Your neighbours to require VM to remove your connection wiring from their property within a reasonable time frame (plus they are perfectly entitled to invoice VM for the use thus far) - it certainly appears that VM acted without their authority.

Plus of course you require your own connection immediately - although VM might have to find out what the word means.

Hopefully it should be sorted quickly.

Message 24 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi nigeats

I can see that you've recently had an engineer visit and I've had a response from the area manager. I will send you a private message regarding this.

Speak soon 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Piggy back feeds are quite common. The cable drop goes back individually to the cabinet, so as long as a signal test was done, the situation should be adequate. Ideally you should have your own drop, but there may be issues with the tee your service comes through that would require the pavement or road to be dug up in order to do this. The Forum team here may be able to persue this for you.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi nigeats

Thanks for posting. This should only really be a temporary measure and I'm sorry to hear of the inconvenience you have experienced. When you test your connection speed what are your speed test results looking like?

Speak soon 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Might be worth checking with neighbours that VM obtained their permission to run a cable on their property for your connection if that is what has happened.

0 Kudos
nigeats
Tuning in
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

We had VM cabling already installed from previous owner. We spoke to neighbours & they were totally unaware that our connection was a spur or piggy back installation. They had a problem couple of weeks ago & got VM engineer round. Cos we have a Sky dish neighbours thought we had Sky Broadband. So they said to Engineer that they didn't know what that second (piggy back) cable was feeding & so it was disconnected by engineer. Unbeknown to us the neighbours & engineer had between them cut our internet connection which lasted all weekend. We then reported problem & "our" VM engineer came to our house on following Monday. He followed csble back from hub to neighbours junction box and reconnected. He said he would put a "job card request" in for us to have our own independent feed from strert cabinet which shouldn't be a problem as we live in a "normal" house facing onto the road. When we spoke to neighbours again after these events they were not happy at all and were in fact as my wife experienced quite "nasty" about us using "their" junction box feed which they were told by "their" engineer that it would reduce their broadband speeds. They seem to act now as though it is our fault that we installed this connection when in all innocence is was done before we moved in and I presumed we had a direct connection to street cabinet. It has resulted in a neighbourly dispute cos they dont want us using their box slowing their speeds down and we want our own independent connection. So we both want the same but have to deal with this "problem" until VM arrange for our own connection.
I have tested the speed a couple of times and from memory (as i am away from house just now) it is about 25mgbs with uplosd of approx 5mgbs.
As for it being "temporary", as stated earlier the previous owners of our house had VM installed which was at lesdt one year ago maybe more cos BT have an unusable line connection into our property hence us now with VM ourselves.
Regards, and looking forward to our own independent broadband connection soon....! :-)
0 Kudos
jaztim
Superfast
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

**When we spoke to neighbours again after these events they were not happy at all and were in fact as my wife experienced quite "nasty" about us using "their" junction box**

It's not their junction box though. I think that all equipment belongs to VirginMedia doesn't it?
spell
Well-informed
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think that 'their box' is with the meaning of their connection and this play on words merely detracts from the point of the post.

It would be a shame if bad feeling continues with your neighbours - you are both victims and need to maintain a united front.

Your neighbours to require VM to remove your connection wiring from their property within a reasonable time frame (plus they are perfectly entitled to invoice VM for the use thus far) - it certainly appears that VM acted without their authority.

Plus of course you require your own connection immediately - although VM might have to find out what the word means.

Hopefully it should be sorted quickly.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Quickly? I reckon you're gonna have to press this hard. You've got a handle on Ty_S who has assured it to be a temporary measure.

You will need to press him to follow through on this.
Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
nigeats
Tuning in
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

So far I am advised on this forum that this is or will be a "temporary" measure. As I stated we have been "reconnected" to VM after moving in after the previous owners had the initial connection into neighbours junction box. I can only presume they thought they had "their" own feed to cabinetry not shared.  No indication as to when or if indeed it will cease to be temporary and my connection becomes permanent. I don't want to "piggy back" on my neighbours and they don't want me on their connection. Estimated time scale?

I am fully aware that junction box and other ancillary is property of VM. The use of inverted commas or speech marks did hope to go to show that this was what I meant which was pointed out by another postee (sic).   As suggested it is a "play on words".  Not to be taken literally that "it" is actually their's (or VM's).  Again, we are now missing the issue of the thread by becoming pedantic. It hasn't helped the situation with a comment like that...!

Anyway, I shall have to check out what progress VM are doing myself in connecting an independent cable back to the cabinet. Overall, NOT HAPPY (That's shouting by the way.....!).

nigeats
Tuning in
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Just looked at original post and underneath it states in red ANSWERED.  NO IT HASN'T. NOTHING HAS BEEN FIXED. IT'S STILL THE SAME NOE AS IT WAS WHEN I FIRST POSTED.

0 Kudos