Menu
Titchener
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Exceedingly Poor Tech Support and Service

I decided to upgrade to the V6 Box which meant I also had to go from the SuperHub2ac to the Super Hub 3. The engineer turned up late and then left the installation not working, it took 24 hours and several phone calls to Virgin and in the end it wasn't them who resolved the issue. 

I had the dreaded green flashing arrows on the router, the router was stuck and wouldn't connect to the internet, countless calls later and the best i got was an appointment for an engineer to attend a week later. Not helpful when you've lost broadband and TV(V6 box relies upon being connected to the Hub 3).

Anyway, the point of this is to say I resolved the problem by doing the following. It appears to be quite common for some Hub's to refuse to simply start up properly, going to 192.168.0.1 just gives you a message saying its updating but never does. I removed the white cable and hit reset and connected the router via a cable to my laptop. This for the first time allowed me to access the Router. To make sure I had control of it i switched it to Modem mode. I then did a reset again and this process seems to have woken the router up and it now works fine.

I've now gone from 150-170meg connection to hitting only 40 if I'm lucky, can someone confirm if that's the router or Virgin? So to summarise, I upgraded my package which resulted in a loss of service for 24 hours and my 200VIVID connection now appears to be 50.....

On the plus side, the V6 box is a hell of a lot quicker.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Exceedingly Poor Tech Support and Service

Hello there Titchener,

Thanks for joining the community Smiley Very Happy

Great to see new members!

Sorry to hear about your slow speeds, may I ask if you're testing your wireless or your hard-wired connection? Ideally we would need to see speed test results tested from a hard-wired PC or laptop. If you don't have an Ethernet cable please let me know and I'll get one out to you.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Titchener
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,

It all seems to have evened out now, on my mobile device i'm hitting 130 and on a wired connection I'm getting the full 200

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

One thing to note about the Hub 3 is that it broadcasts the 2G and 5G WiFi networks under the same name, so your devices randomly connect to either one. The 2G channel will only support around 50Mbs whereas 5G can go much faster. You might find renaming the networks and setting your devices to connect to the 5G network helps.

0 Kudos
Titchener
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the advice, all my devices are on 5g and using ac. I'm hoping a member of staff from Virgin Media see my post and decide to reimburse me for the time I had no services
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Titchener wrote:
Thank you for the advice, all my devices are on 5g and using ac. I'm hoping a member of staff from Virgin Media see my post and decide to reimburse me for the time I had no services

Defo worth a K for entertainment + dry wit/sarcasm but on a more serious note then V6 works adequately on SH2AC (and/or SH2)  as I occasionally run several Hubs (including SH3) concurrently on V200(and Gamer) so SH3 is not a mandatory pre-requisite!.  Unfortunately the only staff that can reimburse "compensation" is Retentions(aka "Thinking-of-Leaving-Us"). 

That's somewhat academic now if you no longer have the SH2AC and hopefully they didn't charge you for a SH3/Hub3 itself? Begs the question as to cost saving for a "Quick start" on V6 but they would charge £14.99 whether a QS or Engineer Install anyway. 

SH3 is debatably the better long term option (with 24-32 x 8 bonded channels) compared to SH2AC 8 x 4  but does have some irritating anomalies that may affect some users until (hopefully) fixed in the coming months/year! Smiley Wink

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Titchener
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

They have done that before for me believe it or not!

The SH3 is actually performing well, getting far better WiFi signal from it. Unless I manually switched to 2g on the SH2AC I had to stand in a specific spot in the garden!

It just frustrated me when literally the only tech support was turn it off and back on again. Being relatively competent with IT it wasn't very helpful!

Must say though, the V6 box is a huge improvement over the old tivo
0 Kudos