Menu
AlexCarter
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet connection keeps dropping out'

I have had my virgin media installed for a week and it keeps dropping in and out every 5 minutes give or take. The bottom right symbol indicating wired connection would have a red cross and then display a yellow triangle. It would then come back on again. I would also get an error message when trying to access a website 'your connection was interrupted, a network change was detected'.

I have tried changing Ethernet cables but the problem still occurs. I have phoned 4 times up to now and Virgin media have not fixed the problem. Can something be done to sort it out? Thanks.

0 Kudos
andyjstew
Up to speed
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet connection keeps dropping out'

Hi AlexCarter,

Have you tried the following at all?

* Tried a different Ethernet port on the hub?

* Tried a different computer and does it do the same?

* Does the Wi-Fi work ok from either this or a different device?

0 Kudos
AlexCarter
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The wi-fi appears to be working fine. I bought a new ethernet cable and it still does the same thing. I have also tried the other ethernet ports but again no success. I have not tried it with another computer as I only have this laptop but I have tried using my smart TV with wired connection and that appears to be fine. As for trying out the wi-fi on another device, I used my smartphone and that was okay. This has happened since i switched from talktalk and had virgin media installed. 

0 Kudos
andyjstew
Up to speed
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ok the issue seems to be related strictly to your computer then.

Have you tried running the following command in a windows terminal?

click on the windows "start" button and type "cmd" and this will open a command prompt window, type one line at at time in that window then press enter and wait for that line to finish before moving on to the next.

• ipconfig /flushdns
  • ipconfig /renew
  • netsh int ip set dns
  • netsh winsock reset

0 Kudos
AlexCarter
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I just tried this and unfortunately it did not work. I remember when i phoned virgin media, the fourth time, the guy said there was nothing wrong with the router. I am deperate to get this fixed. I could use wi-fi but to be honest I would rather use wired connection. Thanks.

0 Kudos
AlexCarter
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I also noticed that the Led lights on the ethernet port go off every time it disconnects (white light and orange light).
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

when you say you tried using your smart tv with a wired connection, do you mean connecting your smart tv to the hub.

if so, it could mean your laptops Ethernet port has a problem, and you could try getting a £10 usb to Ethernet adaptor and try that.

0 Kudos
AlexCarter
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

yes that is correct, I used an ethernet cable and connected the TV to the Superhub 3. I thought it might be the ethernet port but how come my talktalk adsl broadband worked fine with the ethernet port but now suddenly virgin media doesn't? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You could try updating the latop's ethernet adapter's drivers from the adapter's manufacturer's website.

It might be worth checking that the adapter's properties are set to autonegotiation and that the IP and DNS addresses are set to be obtained automatically.

0 Kudos
AlexCarter
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Could you tell me how I can do that exactly? thanks.

0 Kudos