Menu
mrmungy
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Domain Blocking

I have a Superhub with software version V2.39.02 and Hardware Version 2

I am trying to block a website.

I have entered all different permutations of the website address and applied this to the router.

However, I am still able to access this site

I was advised by telephone support to ask on here to try and work out why this isn't working

ScreenshotDomainBlocking

This is a screenshot of the page fro my router.

Can any body help me out.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Domain Blocking

Domain blocking works for non-HTTPS websites, but that website in question is HTTPS so domain blocking won't work for it. On a Windows computer you could put a entry into the HOSTS file to block it, which would stop it being loaded.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Put in bridgemode.bounceme.net

Can you see the following below?

0 Kudos
mrmungy
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Am I putting this in the browser, or in the router?

0 Kudos
ChrisWesley
Just joined
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Did you get this working? I have found domain blocking doesn't work at all. Neither does IP filtering. Level 2 support confirm that, saying it used to work but doesn't now, and that it might be fixed at some point in the future but maybe not. How awesome is that? Who broke it? Who failed to test the update? Who managed the development? Who gives a damn? ANyone? Anywhere at Virgin feel bad about this?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi ChrisWesley,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're also unable to use domain blocking with the Super Hub.

From what Level 2 support have told you, it's a bug in the firmware preventing you from doing this. The problem we have is we're not aware of when a new firmware will be released and what it may or may not fix.

I'll also send you a private message to obtain further information. To view this click on the purple envelope on the top right.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
chrisxenon
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Rich, thanks for your reply, but you have done nothing but repeat what I already know whilst not addressing the questions which remain un-answered.
Thoese questions are these:

1. WHY DON'T YOU (VM) KNOW when the firmware will be fixed?
You have vast resources at your disposal. Why don't you just get the people that broke it to fix it?

2. HOW COULD YOU LET THE BROKEN FIRMWARE GET OUT THROUGH TESTING IN THE FIRST PLACE?

And it's not just one fault - pretty much ALL OF THE FILTERING SIMPLY DOES NOT WORK.

3. Why haven't you advertised this problem more widely (heh - I can't imagine)?

I'm not angry with you personally but I am livid with Virgin Media. I have thought that in recent years they seem to be actually trying to get better, and in general, I think that's still true, but the situation is very annoying, and VM's lack of candour about how the problem got out and apparent lack of interest in fixing it is impossible for me to understand unless it is all about complacency or incompetence.

Oh, and there is no private mail for me from you or anyone else. The purple envelop has a zero next to it and clicking it confirms that I have no mail. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you need block sites on your home broadband connection (both http and https) then you can now use Child Safe which is part of Web Safe.

This allows you to block specificed domains all the time, or on a schedule. You can access Child Safe via www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia > My Apps > Web Safe.

Just be aware that Child Safe does block a set of content categories by default. But you can also whitelist sites if this default block includes sites you do wish to access.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
chrisxenon
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am familiar with Child Safe but it is a clumsy interface to use. I am trying to stop my smart TV and other devices from spying on me. The TV, for example, sends data to Sony on every key press of the remote control. I don't want it to do that, and so I want to block the sony.com domain. However, I may find that some things stop working when I block certain domains, and so I'll want to un-block them again. This kind of tinkering is not well-suited to the child-safe paradigm.

Anyway regardless, I am still fascinated to know exactly how Virgin Media ever managed to totally break so much router firmware - and for it to get through testing - and out into thousands of homes - and for it to not be fixable. I realise I am unlikely to ever know because VM will not want to be honest about it - because the truth will make them look very bad. So I'm doing what I can here.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As far as I'm aware the Domain Blocking option was only included in the SuperHub 1 and the SuperHub 2, 2ac and Hub 3.0 do not include it.

The functionality for domain blocking going forward is Child Safe as this applies to whether your SuperHub is in router mode or modem mode and continues if your Virgin Media kit is replaced due to a fault at any stage.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos