I was due to get Virgin Broadband installed tomorrow morning, but received a call this evening to say that the installation has been pushed back by 6 to 8 weeks because a team came to do a check on my property a few days ago and determined that they needed to carry out some work to install the broadband.
It is incredibly frustrating that I have only been told this information this evening, despite the check happening several days ago apparently, because I have already had to take the day off work.
I have also told my existing provider (Sky) that I would like to cancel my contract because I believed the installation was all going smoothly, so may now be left without internet for up to two months. I need the internet so that I can work, so really cannot cope without it for so long.
Is there any way that this can be sped up or I can be given a set installation date?
Same problem here. Just got an email that the second installation date (tomorrow) is postponed for another 2 weeks. That's a month from original promised date. Getting really frustrated. Shall I just give up, cancel and go with another provider? Am I gonna get another email night before 26 about not having permission from council to carry on with installation? I need internet for work, spent over £40 on mobile data last 2 weeks , not counting my flat mates.. let me know, if you find the way to speed up this ordeal. Good luck
Thank you for taking the time to drop by with your post about the construction work that is needed. I understand this is frustrating but I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for joining us onthe forums.
I appreciate that these delays do impact our customers but they are necessary for us to complete the repair works that we have identified during the pre-call in order for us to provide services for you.
The work that is needed requires permits from the local authority and permits from any utility companies who have cables where we are planning to work or dig.
To keep up to date with this with our Construction teams you can contact them directly via 0345 045 0595 and their opening hours are Mon-Sat 8:30am-7pm.
Last August, I ordered a broadband deal towards the end of my BT infinity 1 contract. Virgin cancelled the install ion due to the need to do Street works. Faced with either renewing my BT contract or being without service I negotiated a new and favourable contract with BT.
Last month, BT announced a monthly price increase of £2 a month to come into effect in April. To get out of the contract I need to give them 30 days notice within 30 days of the increase announcement. I took the opportunity to order Virgin 100 broadband. Again Virgin cancelled the installation date. I called the sales team who are apparently powerless but i found the construction team's number online. This time it would appear that last August 10m of cabling to my property was needed and now it's 48m. The construction team had therefore queried this with whoever does the site survey for them. They hadn't had a reply but said they would chase it up and let me know the outcome next day. No call from them as yet so, with 10 days left during which I can cancel my BT contract, what are the odds on Virgin being able to sort this out?
Here's the challenge Virgin- before 12 March you need to be able to give me an up and running date so that I can give BT 30 days notice. That means if I give notice as late as 11 March, the service must be installed and working before the end of the notice period, that is 10 April. That's 38 days from now. Ample time surely? Place your bets............
Same thing happened to me took the opportunity to leave BT. However since VM informed them I was leaving they turned off my broadband on day of installation. No broadband no reinstallation date as off yet. I have been given two so far. 2 days off. I called before second install and was promised this time it was happening. Promised callbacks yet to receive a single one. Spoke and complained about all broken promises and nothing. Even had a manager from preinstallation team said he couldn't take a complaint over phone. He lied. They have given me 2 installation dates. But since VM have an order to port my phone on day of change BT can't close account because VM have asked for port for my phone. so I would have to wait 14 days to close the port and up to 14 days for BT to reinstall. VM have messed up from day one. I've just told them unless I get a call back I'm considering this deadlock and will be asking CISAS for full compensation for two days pay. Furthermore time for phone calls and cost of extra broadband. I'm not going to settle for my first month free when the CISAS can and will compensate for their lies and incompetence. I hope you get your broadband soon but I would urge you to ask for deadlock letter and then contact ofcom and CISAS.
To be honest I haven't got a problem with BT Infinity 1. For £30.99 (plus £2.50 from 1 April) I get a broadband speed that does everything I need but could be better, basic TV, weekend calls and BT sport. However, they're going to charge for sport from August, I don't need calls and the charge goes up to £47.99 from August (without BT sport that I've already cancelled). At the end of every contract period I threaten to leave and BT gives me the same deal as a new customer, hence the 30.99 charge. Obviously, I'm not going to pay an extra £17 for less service but I have no doubt BT will do a deal again (it's amazing how service standards improve when you call to cancel)
The only reason for switching to Virgin is to (hopefully) improve on the broadband speed I'm getting from BT. Their fibre goes to Street box 81 - how far away it is from my house I've no idea because I've never found it! Suffice to say our connection is copper wire for a long way and the master socket is in completely the wrong place. Although fitted for a previous customer Outreach want a wedge of cash to move it. Lke I said, I'm happy enough with BT and it looks as if Virgin have missed out - I'm not prepared to waste time on chasing them when they should be reviewing delayed installation regularly and keeping the customer informed. Fortunately, I haven't cancelled BT and won't now until the end of my contract. I'll give Virgin til Monday but I guess I will then have to call them - to cancel
No update from Virgin so it's carry on with BT until end of contract in August. Shall I try and get connected to Virgin again? However, just had a special offer in the post, just for me, to waive the £40 engineer visit if I join now. Amazing