Menu
crichmond5
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Council Approval for connection

Hi all,

Having found that Virgin fibre was available on my road, I was surprised to get a text on the day of installation saying they needed council approval to make the connection under the pavement which would take a further 6-8 weeks.  I am now without broadband and my only option is to wait or find another supplier. Is there a way of tracking the council approval process as the installation team are not helpful and have said I must wait and be contacted in 6-8 weeks.  I don't want to end up with installation problems at the end of this period and be back to square one.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks, regards.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Council Approval for connection

It looks like you been fed some rubbish.

As a bona fide Streetworks accredited Utility supplier VM do not need permission to dig up the pavement, in fact they have a legal right to do so under the New Roads and Streetworks act. However, VM do need to give the Local Authority notice that they are going to dig up the pavement, 3 days for minor works.The Local Authority can request a delay in the works if there are other works going on in the area the same time. There are some special cases like if the road has been recently resurfaced in which case you will be waiting two years.

Some LAs have applied to the Secretary of State to a run permit system so anyone who wants to dig up the road needs to apply for a permit. The timings have not changed so a permit should be made available in 3 days for minor works.

VM's construction team seam to work on a 3 week or so rolling program, so I wouldn't expect any works to start before then as new job will be at the back of the queue and it will take VM about thre weeks to get to them.

The local Authority are obliged to keep a record of notices and permit aplications and you should be able to see any planned roadworks on yout Local Authoritiy's website.

0 Kudos
crichmond5
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Council Approval for connection

Griffin, many thanks.

What a ball ache! Time to make another phone call.

0 Kudos