Menu
schoggerm
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Correct Virgin Media Cable

I had a site visit from VM this morning to survey the property for an installation booked for Saturday May 17th 2017.

In order to facilitate the installation process, I have been advised that VM will place their splitter in the loft and then run four cables from where the splitter will be positioned to the following rooms.

1. Upstairs TV Room

2. Downstairs TV Room

3. Upstairs to where the VM modem will be positioned [SOHO Comms Cupboard]

4. Main feed to street level

I will be able to run these internal cables as it is going to be a time consuming, awkward, difficult and dirty job. However, I need to know what type of cable to purchase so that it is compatible with VM specifications?

I understand Webro HD100 Ultra is compatible????

I welcome any thoughts or ideas please.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Correct Virgin Media Cable

As far as I know, Virgin will only use their own cable. Although you could buy cable with similar or greater spec' and install it yourself they won't use it.

I'm pretty sure this is the case so I'd suggest checking with them before you do anything.

Dave.

0 Kudos
schoggerm
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave

Thank you for your reply. To be honest, I was half expecting that answer.

I am just confused as to why the VM guy that carried out the Site Survey this morning, suggested I could run my own cable.

Maybe I could run draw strings instead for the VM guys to use when they come to install?

Thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps the guy doing the survey meant Ethernet cables? You're OK with those, it's just the coax they're fussy about.

Draw strings would be a good idea. That way you stand a good chance they'll run them where you want them and not just take the easiest route.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

it wont be lan cables which leaves me confused - how are they getting to the splitter from street level - they wont usually install in lofts these days - has to be simple and no great heights involved - the initial box will [usually] be at ground level at the front of the house nearest the road or pavement - that is the connection back to the street cabinet - from there through the wall to the inside and add internal boxes - more than that is pretty unusual - so what the guy who came suggests may not be what the installer does on the day

what has been said is perfectly possible but achieving that - if thats what you want is going to take a lot of tea and biscuits and even then you may to have to get involved 

any internal coax cables will have to be supplied by VM and they really should be installed on the day or at least made and roughly fitted to check signal levels - if not you are likely to have a problem

to cut it short - i dont think whats suggested will happen

Tony
0 Kudos
schoggerm
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony

Thank you for your thoughts.

The idea is simply I will run all the cables internally through false walls and through trunking that are buried in the walls. The ends of the cables will all terminate together in the loft [which is fully boarded, lined and completed with lights and electricity], sighted near a power point where VM can connect their master splitter. The other ends of the cable will be 'Sticking' at of the wall where the 2 TIVO boxes are sighted, where the MODEM will be sighted and the final cable will exit the loft, run down the outside of the house to the place where VM will sight their INITIAL BOX at ground level by the front of the house. Because of the amount of time and patience that will be involved to do this 'Cable Running', I thought it could be a good idea to do it in advance. The only other option is to run 'Draw Cords' and let VM use these draw cords to pull through their cables on the day of the installation.

Michael. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

all perfectly feasible Michael - but its not going to happen on the day is my thought - as said many times VM use their own cable which cannot be purchased - theres stuff on Amazon and ebay but no installer is going to use that 

your only choice as i see it is to get a VM tech back with a roll of coax - you can run them and he can then terminate them on the day and set things up - thats assuming you can talk him into going into the loft - if the install is there - as mine is they will go to it but to start with nothing and hope he will install it is questionable - like i say - lots of tea and biscuits - an installer thats on your side and it might happen

pull wires might work but you still need him/her to work in the loft

would have been no problem a good few years ago - what you describe is not too removed from what i have but today health and safety and needing to get to the next job has taken over

so if you have a number for the tech who came out give him a bell and talk a roll of cable out of him and hope that whoever turns up on the day is on your side - if you dont have his number ring whoever you did to get the spotter out

Tony
0 Kudos
schoggerm
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony

That is sound advice.

I will contact VM and ask for a roll of their coax.

What you have stated is correct and unfortunately a sign of the times, which in my opinion can only get worse!

I will get the wife down to Tesco's to stock up on Tea, Coffee and Chocolate Biscuits :-)

Many thanks again

Michael.

0 Kudos