Menu
morimaro
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Connecting TiVo and superhub to same coax cable?

If I move my superhub downstairs next to the TiVo Box,  what is the best way to connect them both to the coax coming in from the street box? 

Is a T-piece connector OK,  or is a splitter cable needed? 

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connecting TiVo & superhub to same coax cable?

hiya @morimaro welcome to the virginmedia community forum, moving box to other locations can greatly effect the signal levels, since these need to be very carefully balanced, since using wrong cables can cause issue for others, since would be adding noise into network, since virginmedia use their own specially made triple shielded 75omhs, do you have a box attached to wall on both upstairs/downstairs.

since if only 1 box, there should already be a splitter attached to the coax cable, to have virginmedia to come out do all the wiring, box installation costs standard fee of £99
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

hiya @morimaro welcome to the virginmedia community forum, moving box to other locations can greatly effect the signal levels, since these need to be very carefully balanced, since using wrong cables can cause issue for others, since would be adding noise into network, since virginmedia use their own specially made triple shielded 75omhs, do you have a box attached to wall on both upstairs/downstairs.

since if only 1 box, there should already be a splitter attached to the coax cable, to have virginmedia to come out do all the wiring, box installation costs standard fee of £99
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
morimaro
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There is no splitter on either connection so what type of splitter would be suitable? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

morimaro wrote:

If I move my superhub downstairs next to the TiVo Box,  what is the best way to connect them both to the coax coming in from the street box? 

Is a T-piece connector OK,  or is a splitter cable needed? 

All that is required if you are running the two from the same outlet & they are next to eachother is an additional service self install kit to be sent out. This provides 2 made up 3 metre cables & a splitter. No need for an engineer callout.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The OP and @nodrog will have noticed that my post on this subject has been removed (by the Mods). Once I had read nodrog's post I realised that my post was thoroughly mistaken and I took steps to have it removed. Apologies for any confusion and all I say in my defence is that you learn something everyday.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
mbreckers
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

how do you go about getting one of these additional service self install kit? I moved my hub to my bedroom and had to buy some cabling and a splitter of amazon, and the cable just isnt as good as the VM ones
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully one of the staff team here may be able to organize this. Under no circumstances connect anything to the coax system that isn't approved by Virgin or it could cause havoc with the local network. Your coax connection is shared with all your neighbours & any RF noise leaking into your installation will affect their quality of service as well as yours.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi mbreckers,

Welcome to the Community!

As nodrogd, if you ever need something like this done we can arrange for one of our technicians to carry out the work. This is to ensure the set up doesn't adversely affect our network. I'd like to send a technician to investigate your current set up to make sure everything is OK.

I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment for you.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos