Menu
GaryReggae
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Confusion about wall sockets

Hi folks,

I went for the self-install option for the house I am moving into, as a quick inspection of the wall outlets showed a BT-type (NTE) socket with a Virgin Media logo on, I assumed that this must mean the coaxial connectors were there as well (but didn't give it a second thought).

So the package of equipment turned up yesterday and when trying to connect it up, I realised that there was no socket with coaxial connectors at the bottom. However, there IS some kind of outlet next to that phone socket with two coaxial connectors on. Can these be used or do I need to get an engineer (I am guessing probably the latter).

Here are a couple of photos:

20170308_123914.jpg20170308_123909.jpg

If it does need an engineer then roughly how long is the wait, as I want to get this up and running ASAP.

The bottom wire that comes out of the Virgin Media NTE leads to the Openreach NTE elsewhere in the house.

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Confusion about wall sockets

bit of guesswork which may become clearer if you remove the cover on the left hand box - that looks to me to be a bit of DIY from previous owner to house a splitter - if it is then that should work for the coax to the hub - in fact the cable coming out on the left may be coax and therefor can be used - try iy and see what happens - if it all fits together then ring the activation line and hopefully it will work

the phone socket is just that and it sounds as though again a bit of DIY to add an extension socket - again if you have a phone on the package you have plug one in and see if it works

Tony
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The white box on the left is an isolator/diplexer box & is far older than its telephone counterpart.

The black cable is the incoming RG6 feed from the omni-box outside. The white cable is the one you need to connect too, which carries the TV & Broadband signals. The other unused socket is for the now discontinued analogue FM radio service the original cable companies carried.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

bit of guesswork which may become clearer if you remove the cover on the left hand box - that looks to me to be a bit of DIY from previous owner to house a splitter - if it is then that should work for the coax to the hub - in fact the cable coming out on the left may be coax and therefor can be used - try iy and see what happens - if it all fits together then ring the activation line and hopefully it will work

the phone socket is just that and it sounds as though again a bit of DIY to add an extension socket - again if you have a phone on the package you have plug one in and see if it works

Tony
0 Kudos
GaryReggae
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony for your quick reply - a splitter would explain it so I'll have a look inside the box and try connecting the VM equipment to it when I am round there tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The white box on the left is an isolator/diplexer box & is far older than its telephone counterpart.

The black cable is the incoming RG6 feed from the omni-box outside. The white cable is the one you need to connect too, which carries the TV & Broadband signals. The other unused socket is for the now discontinued analogue FM radio service the original cable companies carried.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
GaryReggae
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just to let you know (in case anyone else has a similiar issue), the broadband is working perfectly now after I connected it to the lower of the two sockets on that splitter - thanks for your help guys.

Gary

0 Kudos