Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 19 (788 Views)

Coaxial cable into my house - does it limit broadband?

Hi, I keep getting notifications from Virgin that the broadband speed via my fibre optic cable is increasing or has already increased. Sounds fantastic, but does the coaxial cable that brings both tv & broadband into my house limit this at all? It's not exactly high-tech is it? I have no complaints about the speed of my pc, just wondering. The tv's Tivo box does seem rather slow when I use "catch-up tv" to play programmes that I missed, don't know if that's to be expected or not.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 19 (1,568 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Jacques57
‎28-07-2017 19:41

Re: Coaxial cable into my house - does it limit broadband?

Coax cable can push *a lot* of bandwidth, its second only to fiber-optic.

And cable VM is using *is* actually kind of high-tech - its not just average run-of-the-mill coax, but rather pretty rare & expensive sort.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 19 (1,566 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Jacques57
‎28-07-2017 19:42

no it wont limit it the speed coax can carry is massive.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos

All Replies
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 19 (1,569 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Jacques57
‎28-07-2017 19:41

And cable VM is using *is* actually kind of high-tech - its not just average run-of-the-mill coax, but rather pretty rare & expensive sort.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 19 (1,567 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Jacques57
‎28-07-2017 19:42

no it wont limit it the speed coax can carry is massive.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 19 (780 Views)

Thanks for the replies to this, I have been wondering about this for some time - I will have more respect for coax in future!
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19 (740 Views)

A basic rule of network cabling is the longer the cable, the lower the bandwidth, even with fibre. This is due to signal attenuation, though fibres are far better than copper-based materials. You can do 10gbps over a few tens of meters of copper, whereas fibre will stretch into the kilometres before needing repeaters.

As far as I am aware, in some areas Virgin is using fibre (using Radio Frequency over Glass for compatibility), which is then converted to coax at the edge of the customer's property; a little like how customers connect to fibre services typically using copper ethernet for their own machines, which the router/modem spits out as light down the fibre.

Inside the property, coax is used as normal, again for compatibility with existing kit.

Where this is done, the length of coax is so short that it would not be a limiting factor on bandwidth. Or at least, a meaningful limiting factor.

For regular old coax, you can still get decent bandwidth, but higher attenuation means you can't use higher modulation data rates due to the signal-to-noise ratio.

Caveat: this all depends on how Virgin Media run their service, what frequencies and modulation they use, and what their kit and the customer site kit is capable of.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 6 of 19 (734 Views)

[ Edited ]
@ToffeeSuprise with fiber optics depends if it's multi or single core, single core can go for miles before needing repeaters etc.. just thought would let you know
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19 (715 Views)

I'm simplying but yes very true! However, in the ISP industry you'd normally use single mode instead of multimode, since that's what the backhaul is for. RFoG would also use single mode as well.

Used to see a lot of the multimode working in the DC though.

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 8 of 19 (510 Views)

RidingTheFlow wrote:

Can you explain how this is??

Last time I looked (tore down a peice of Virgin external coax all I found was a thicker outer sheath (protection) a higher outer braid count (although this isn't copper but actual aluminium) then the inner core which was copper clad aluminum (so aluminium coated in copper)...

Last time I looked this wasn't exactly high spec, all though plenty enough for transmitting Virgin's lower frequency cable signals/spectrum.

A higher spec coax would be something with a higher copper braid count and thicker full copper core with good quality outer sheath and a good quality dialectric insulator.... and pushing the boat out would involve having two sets of outer sheilding such as HD100 which I've used many times for long coaxial runs.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 9 of 19 (503 Views)

the cable used by virginmedia is a tripped shielded 75omhs cable
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 10 of 19 (493 Views)

No it isn't.

0 Kudos