Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 26 (12,354 Views)

Chromecast setup Help needed.

Hello

Has anyone got the chrome-cast from Google and if so did you manage to get it working on Virgins super hub. I really would appreciate some help purchased it from the USA on the 9th of this month and cannot get it to see my hub?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Joining in
Message 24 of 26 (4,144 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Jen_A (Forum Team)
‎11-03-2016 12:54

Re: Chromecast setup Help needed.

Hi,

I have had the same issue with both my chromecast devices after switching from BT to Virgin. They had been working fine for the last 18 months so I could not understand why they stopped working with virgins hub. None of the suggestions I read about router settings helped me.

I am using the first generation chromecast devices which only support WPA. I my case what I found was that the virgin hub supports WPA, but only if the WPA/WPA2 option is selected. Unfortunately there was no WPA only option that I could force the whole network to to confirm if this was the problem.

During the Chromecast setup from my mobile it was saying connect to my wifi network (secured with WPA2), as my phone is secure with WPA2.

My solution:

1. when you get to the chromecast setup screen, select the drop down arrow for network name and select "other"

2. Enter your network name

3. Select security WPA

4. Enter your network password

5. Press set up network, and it all just worked!!!

I think it tries to connect with WPA2 security by default if that is what you have connected with, and my version of the chromecast did not support this.

I hope this helps, as I have wasted a couple of hours changing router settings.

Cheers

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Message 2 of 26 (12,322 Views)

Hi Spuddly54,

I'm not familiar with the chromecast I'm afraid. Does the device work ok with the Tv/screen you're plugging it into? 

If so does it pick up any wireless networks at all? Also, what mode is your hub broadcasting in? It may be as simple as the chromecast not being capable of receiving 5GHz signal.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 26 (12,296 Views)

Hello john_G

I bought the chromecast from the U.S.A. a couple of weeks ago and was told it works with all "N" based networks.

The chromecast is a device that sits in the HDMI slot in a TV and allows you to "cast" what is showing in your Google browser.

You have to download an App first from the US and install it to your pc.

Next a network search takes place to configure the chromecast .

Still no connection is shown.

My problem is that i cannot get the device to see my network yet it picks up other virgin media signals? so I am convinced its my super hub settings.

I am on the 2.4 GHz and have WPA2-PSK

TYPE 802.11n settings and  my home network runs fine this way i just cannot figure out why the app wont see my network.

Thanks

George B

here is a link to chromecast web site.http://www.google.com/intl/en-GB/chrome/devices/chromecast/#netflix

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 4 of 26 (12,291 Views)

Hi spuddly54,

I'm afraid other than what John has already mentioned we are at a loss here. Hopefully some of our Community members will pick this up soon and give you some advice Smiley Happy

I can't see it being an issue with your hub checking your connection all is looking good. Is this the only device you are having problems with??

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 26 (12,290 Views)

Hi

Yes it is the only device i am having problems with.

I did try this.

I bought a wireless modem and switched  the Super hub to modem only mode then connected the wireless box to this.Next i ran the chromecast app and it Worked !!

unfortunately i was only trying the second option to see if it was my Hub, also  my speed dropped to 12 meg from 49meg on the second box so i returned the wireless box as it was going to cost too much in the long run.
regards

G Broadhurst

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 26 (12,227 Views)

I'm having the same trouble - anyone know anything about this yet?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 26 (12,223 Views)

What speed is the network set to?

54, 144 or 300?

are obss or greenfield enabled as well?
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Settling in
Message 8 of 26 (12,199 Views)

Researching the Chromecast uses DIAL full details https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGlhbC1tdWx0aXNjcmVlbi5vcmd8ZGlhbHxneDo1NTA2NDQ5M...

Short version is it uses Multicasting so I guess the question should be does the Superhub support Multicast other than allowing it to be passed through or does it block between Wireless clients. If so are there any control options to allow

Testing myself I connected to a separate very basic wifi device and it works fine on this
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 26 (12,006 Views)

Just bumping this up again and wondering if anyone has managed to successfully set chromecast with a VM Super Hub?

I tried chromecast app, re-booting, removing firewall on router and all the possible router related known issues as listed here:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/table/3477832?hl=en&ref_topic=3205565

A few have managed to do it via  websetup

https://cast.google.com/chromecast/setup?np=manualsetup,

but my WiFi doesn't even show up in the drop-down list despite being visible (and working of course).

Router just won't have it, very frustrating.

Any help would much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 10 of 26 (11,977 Views)

claudiol wrote:

Just bumping this up again and wondering if anyone has managed to successfully set chromecast with a VM Super Hub?

I tried chromecast app, re-booting, removing firewall on router and all the possible router related known issues as listed here:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/table/3477832?hl=en&ref_topic=3205565

A few have managed to do it via  websetup

https://cast.google.com/chromecast/setup?np=manualsetup,

but my WiFi doesn't even show up in the drop-down list despite being visible (and working of course).

Router just won't have it, very frustrating.

Any help would much appreciated.

Thanks

Just a thought - Does your SSID (Wifi name) have a long name?

ISTR some people having a similar issue on their Now TV boxes, shortening the name resolved the problem as far as I know.

Have nothing else to suggest but might be worth checking?

0 Kudos