Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14 (481 Views)

Changing router password

Good morning all,

I've been informed by my A/V software that my router password is weak so I went to the Virgin website to facilitate a password change and the information I entered was not accepted.

The factory password is correct as I have had to give it to my daughter so that she can log on.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 14 (462 Views)

Re: Changing router password

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 14 (458 Views)

sacwak1 wrote:

Good morning all,

I've been informed by my A/V software that my router password is weak so I went to the Virgin website to facilitate a password change and the information I entered was not accepted.

The factory password is correct as I have had to give it to my daughter so that she can log on.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thank you.

Which antivirus software do you have that is accessing your passwords?

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 4 of 14 (447 Views)

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I have never seen an A/V advise you that your passwords are weak.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14 (428 Views)

My av software is Avast Free.
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 14 (417 Views)

Avast's password manager includes the antivirus product and I would imagine the warning generated is because the default password for the router lacks the mixture of characters groups deemed appropriate for a strong password; default passwords should always be changed regardless of their strength. Also, keep in mind, the router's default settings do not allow for remote access.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14 (406 Views)

I don't think it has any thing to do with the antivirus software, as my original post states the Virgin website doesn't recognise my information.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 14 (402 Views)

Hi, I have the same problem - I want to change the default PW on my router (super hub 2ac). The settings page says I have entered an incorrect default password - but I have in fact entered the correct one off the router. What can I do?

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 14 (397 Views)

ddd649 wrote:

Hi, I have the same problem - I want to change the default PW on my router (super hub 2ac). The settings page says I have entered an incorrect default password - but I have in fact entered the correct one off the router. What can I do?

The 2ac's default access password is   changeme   did you use that?   If that doesn't work then you need to perform a factory reset ... insert a slim object into the pinhole at the back of the hub and hold down for 30 seconds.   You will have to reinstate all your settings so make a backup of them from the menu first.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 14 (386 Views)

[ Edited ]

sacwak1 wrote:
I don't think it has any thing to do with the antivirus software, as my original post states the Virgin website doesn't recognise my information.

I was addressing the observations made by Dave_cq and Dominatez.

Router password is changed by accessing the router not the Virgin Media website; did you look at the previous post I made here. If the problem persists can you post a screenshot of the issue / error message; Use Snipping Tool to capture screenshots?

0 Kudos