Menu
Angela9
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cannot connect pc to router

Subscribed to virgin broadband only. Got a virgin hub 3.0 & wifi. All our mobile devices pick the wifi signal up, however I'm having trouble connecting on my pc. The Ethernet cable isn't long enough as my virgin box is downstairs and my pc upstairs. I did the quick set up as I already had virgin installed and also have a white virgin cable coming through my bedroom wall with a male fitting. I cannot connect hub upstairs to this as both of the fittings are male. My pc is quite old and runs on windows vista and all I get when I try to connect is not connected to any networks and also install adaptor. Does this means I need to buy an adaptor to get my wi fi on my pc. The very unhelpful person at the call centre said I need to buy an adaptor but why should I have to buy extra software to get my pc connected, surely three know not everybody as bang up to date computers?
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot connect pc to router

Does your pc have any form of wifi internet adapter internally on on motherboard or externally , if no then you'll need some a wifi adapter to connect to wifi.

easiest is probably a usb adapter which can be picked up pretty cheaply, although if your computer supports usb3 then would be worth paying a bit more for a faster/better quality one.

0 Kudos
stuart345
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Modern routers as they get fast will unfortunately reduce in range. This is because high frequency signals are line of sight or rely on signal bounce like your mobile network signals bounce vetween buildings to make xonbections but signals can drop still. there are two solutions one is a coax signal spiller and put this upstairs. If tge line is "hot" you can connect the modem here. By line hot I mean it is connected to the line whwre virgin enters property a double fenale adapter should also work to move modem upstairs. The splutter should have been installed by engineer at installation. This could be an error on virgins part. the next possibility is turn on sharing on computer and see if other devices detect its wifi. Being a laprop this should work too. Brick walls degrade connectivity which is i suspect part of your problem. The easy resylt is a wifi/ethernet extender plug in which effectively acts as an amplified wifi antenna which your computer will detect and connect to then you could connect the extender to VM modem. Extender should be around 10-20 pounds, a splitter about 5 pounds, a douvle female connector 1-2 pounds. You pick the option after checking laptop connectivity. Try on stairs first top middle bottom to see where signal drops.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Angela9, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see that you have been having trouble with your wireless connection. 

I have taken a look and I can see a couple of things. Firstly I can see there are some issues with slow speeds during peak times in your area, I have popped the details across to Networks and once I hear back from them I will let you know what the next steps are.

Secondly I can see that your downstream power levels are too low. Which may be impacting your wireless connection.

I would like to get an engineer out to correct this for you. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner.

Speak to you soon.

Emma 

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos