Menu
jimos87
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Can i limit speed by device I.P

There are 2 devices in my house which i don't think deserve or need my nice 200mb internet is there a way to throttle their speeds from the router

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can i limit speed by device I.P

It's not possible with the hubs VM provide, you'll need to buy yourself a 3rd party cable router that supports that ft. and pop your hub into modem mode

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
jimos87
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Any ideas on a wi fi router that can do this i want to limit by I.P/ Mac and throttle them down 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

jimos87 wrote:

Any ideas on a wi fi router that can do this i want to limit by I.P/ Mac and throttle them down 

There are many which support that, what you want is one with the QOS feature specifically. It would need to have a 1Gb WAN port too. Ensure you stay away from any that mention VDSL/any kind of DSL. Personally if I was going to buy one I'd get the Asus RT-AC68U. But that often retails at £99 to £160 depending if there is a sale on or not. As you can see here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Wireless-Access-Points/ASUS-AC1900-Gigabit-Router-Server-Dongle-Support/B... sells out pretty well

It all depends on your budget (if any) and if you post what that is I'm sure you'll get some a bunch of suggestions from people here about what would suit best

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
jimos87
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I would say no more than £100

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

jimos87 wrote:

I would say no more than £100

Then a asus n66u may be more your thing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-N66U-802-11a-Multimedia-Wireless/dp/B007W16SMO/ it has a 1Gb WAN, QOS ft., but no AC WiFi or USB 3.0 though. Still, it's ASUS, so it's quality and many people recommend that model.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
jimos87
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I spoke to tp link and they are saying QOS won;t work for me and i need bandwith management

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

jimos87 wrote:

I spoke to tp link and they are saying QOS won;t work for me and i need bandwith management

QOS comes in various forms, bandwidth management is the variety TP link goes with and as I was looking up options, I did read reviews about the limited QOS options their TP link archer range has. People found them limiting, which is why I didn't link to the TP Link Archer I seen at £80

Edit: Fixed

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
jimos87
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hmm they actually recommend the archer range to me, its a good job i havn't ordered it

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

jimos87 wrote:

Hmm they actually recommend the archer range to me, its a good job i havn't ordered it

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28875409-No-QoS-on-TP-LINK-C7-Archer-Only-Bandwidth-allocation < an example of gripes about TP links QOS option on the Archer

- - - - - -
0 Kudos