Menu
fibrenewbie
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cable installation - satisfied customers?

I'm considering Virgin fibre broadband so I'm doing my research. It's always easy to find complainers, but I'd like to hear from people who have recently had fibre run to their house and are happy with the experience. Virgin fibre is already in our street, so it's just a matter of cutting across our gravel driveway to the house.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cable installation - satisfied customers?

For me our house never had Virgin Media before so it was all done from scratch.  The workers came a few days before the engineer was booked in and cabled up from outside our property on the pavement, under our front wall and with an angle grinder made a slot between two pieces of concrete, then under some chippings to the front of the house.  

They filled the hole back in with concrete and did a reasonable job.  It was much better than we had expected and was worrying about what it would look like.  

There was a single hole drilled through the front wall and inside this was covered with a Virgin Media box and the phone socket we opted to have next to it (so there was no additional wires throughout the house.  

They were independent though, it was Kelly Communications working on behalf of Virgin Media, so it will just depend on how good the people are who are covering your area.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The property was already cabled up , but I wanted the main feed in a separate room, so it was just a simple task of clipping a new length of cable from the external little brown box on outside , to where I wanted it.

Unfortunately there was a problem with the cable from the green cabinet to my property and things wouldn't sync up properly.

The installation engineer explained a new cable would need to be pulled in from the green cabinet.

That was done the following day whilst I was at work and a little hand written note pushed through letterbox saying "job done"

Everyone involved with my install , even the person on the end of the phone who dealt with my service change to just Vivid 300 only, after 2 years , were easy to deal with and did a professional job.

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware

All Replies
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Been a happy VM customer for over 2 years.

Recently downgraded package to broadband only as I was fed up of the slooow and clunky TiVo, so Sky Q provides my TV viewing experience.

Extremely happy with the Vivid 300 service though.

+1 VM

backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've been a Virgin Media customer for just short of 4 weeks now and was worried after reading many of the complaints and issues being reported in the forums.  I am extremely satisfied and glad I signed up.  I did get an exclusive deal (not advertised) and can't fault the service at such a bargain price!

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
fibrenewbie
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks pyrotenax. How did the cable installation work go? Good job?
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

For me our house never had Virgin Media before so it was all done from scratch.  The workers came a few days before the engineer was booked in and cabled up from outside our property on the pavement, under our front wall and with an angle grinder made a slot between two pieces of concrete, then under some chippings to the front of the house.  

They filled the hole back in with concrete and did a reasonable job.  It was much better than we had expected and was worrying about what it would look like.  

There was a single hole drilled through the front wall and inside this was covered with a Virgin Media box and the phone socket we opted to have next to it (so there was no additional wires throughout the house.  

They were independent though, it was Kelly Communications working on behalf of Virgin Media, so it will just depend on how good the people are who are covering your area.

-

pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The property was already cabled up , but I wanted the main feed in a separate room, so it was just a simple task of clipping a new length of cable from the external little brown box on outside , to where I wanted it.

Unfortunately there was a problem with the cable from the green cabinet to my property and things wouldn't sync up properly.

The installation engineer explained a new cable would need to be pulled in from the green cabinet.

That was done the following day whilst I was at work and a little hand written note pushed through letterbox saying "job done"

Everyone involved with my install , even the person on the end of the phone who dealt with my service change to just Vivid 300 only, after 2 years , were easy to deal with and did a professional job.

Vesi
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I am one really unhappy new customer. Istallation was scheduled for today 1-6pm. At 5.45pm still at home waiting patiently I called Virgin, they reassured me that installation will still happen and someone will call me. Installer call me to tell me he has puncture and can't come. I offered to pick him up, but he said he needs to bring a ladder, so I offered to pick him up in a van, he went quiet and said that he will call me back with his location. An hour later, losing my patience called VM again, they reassured me installer is still coming and to rest assured that installation is taking place. The same installer called me an hour later with a new story that he has traffic accident and so on, a lot of rubbish he was talking. Telling me he needs to do the job of 2 people, he doesn't work for VM, but sub-contracting, not paying him enough and I have to understand, he is giving me his personal number, he promises for the following day and so on, speaking to me not in a polite manner. So now I need to book second day off work and wait for him again. Asked VM for different installer, bu this apparently is not an option. Far from impress with the quality of the service.

Just checked online and shows that installation has taken places, charges applied and so on, when it hasn't.

Lets hope this is an odd case and in general they offer better customer service.

0 Kudos