Menu
MattLovin85
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Cable My Street

As most people are already aware, Sky are rubbish. I average 1.2Mbps for my connection, and due to location, can only watch OR record 1 channel.

Naturally, having used Virgin before, am very interested in making the switch but sadly it is available all along my street except for my block of flats at the end.

Question is, who do I contact to get this installed? I have registered my interested on "cable my street" but it is not an issue of the street, it is just the block of flats in the street that does not have it.

Please help because I am currently lugging my Xbox round my parents/brothers everytime theres an update/download because its actually faster to bag it up and drive 10 miles to there home and do it on a Virgin connection than it is to just let it do its thing on my own connection.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable My Street

Blocks of flats are a problem. You have to ask why they weren't part of the original build. The local authority would have given a permit to cable the street, but installation in blocks of flats if not local authority owned is a different matter. Did the owner decide not to allow installation or not want to contribute to the cost? There is also the issue of distribution in the building. If the building is wired for Sky reception & the distribution board is at the bottom of the building this might be a possibility if the more stringent wiring standards Virgin have is allowed for. If the cabling is not up to scratch, or the coax distribution is run from the top of the building as it is in most cases, then retrofit for cable becomes very expensive indeed. Wiring of the outside of the building also requires a lot of work, & in a lot of cases would be refused on planning grounds.

In short the current landlord would no doubt have to make a significant contribution financially to installation costs over & above what Virgin would normally budget to connect a standard property.

The only thing I would suggest it to get all your neighbours to sign up so Virgin sees a project in your flats might be viable. The second is to contact your landlord & advise them the same.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable My Street

Hi MattLovin85

Thanks for popping by with your Cable My Street post and thanks for joining us on the forums too- it's great to have you with us Smiley Happy

You've had some brilliant support from @nodrogd and that's awesome!

I'd like to support further by speaking to the Lightning teams to see if we can look into this for you and get some information regarding if we are planning to wire up the flats.

If you could get back in touch with me on the you can find up on the top right of the forums, that would be great Smiley Happy

Speak soon.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos