Menu
YemiB
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband disconnecting

I have been having loads of issues with my broadband connection dipping in and out for hours at a time, at weekends and in the evenings.

I have family around the world, so our weekly skype sessions are very important. More often than not over the last few months, the connection has been hopeless, which is very frustrating. We usually skype at 10am on Saturdays.

I have had a few days off this week and have realised that the connection dips in and out several times during the day as well.

i have checked my equipment, switched the modem on and off with no improvement. I have also run the service status test, which always comes back my equipment is fine, but it does take about 10 mins instead of 2, because the connection dips in and out throughout.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband disconnecting

Hi there Yemi,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies you are experiencing intermittent broadband connection. I can imagine how annoying this must be.

Looking at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and there have been no time-outs reported since the router has been online.

Does this happen on both wired and wireless devices?

Do you notice any lights change on the router at all?

When the internet does disconnect, do you have to reboot the router for the connection to work again?

Let me know how you get on
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
YemiB
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi
I don't have any wired devices but have the same issues across all my devices (smartphone, tablet and laptop). I don't generally have to switch the router off, but internet pages fail to load for several hours and I often just give up waiting and do something else.
When checking the router, all the lights are flickering quite quickly.
I have run the troubleshooter on my Mac and it has suggested that there may be a fault between the connection from outside and my router.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey YemiB,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

Sorry again for this fault, I wonder if you've tried changing your wireless channel yet? Very often this will improve issues caused by wireless interference. Could you please give this a go and let us know if it helps please.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
YemiB
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I changed the wireless channel about 6.30pm yesterday and so far so good. My skype session this morning was fine.

My Mac is monitoring connectivity failures and has identified only 1 dropped connection at 10.30pm last night.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully my issue is now resolved.

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you have any more trouble with channel selection download a free wifi analyser app which will show you what channels your neighbours are using and the relative levels.
0 Kudos