Menu
akinullic
Just joined
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Wires

Flat Refurb 1st Floor want Virgin Broadband but only wires installed so it is under the new flooring so it does ruin my new floor or skirting.

Flat will be empty so I do not want a Broadband contract as that will be done by the buyer. I am an existing Virgin customer can this be done or am I worrying about nothing?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Wires

That's going to be a difficult one. Virgin won't wire a property unless a contract is signed, as the install fee is part of that contract. Also any wiring changes needed after the initial install are twice as expensive.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
akinullic
Just joined
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Why difficult surely it ensures that the new person will use Virgin rather than another provider and I am happy to pay the installation fee that is reasonable. I notice that self install thingy but the previous provider was Sky (I hate them).

Virgin does Broadband only so I don't need a phone socket. They router attaches to a wall (I have one in my main res)  I am concerned because the property is on the first floor so would they drill through the wall?

Christina

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, Virgin do Broadband only, but at a premium, as there is no discounting on services without a phone line. Also your new tenant will be stuck with no choice of provider. Seems a bit drastic.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

And virgin will not lay cables under floor boards anyway. Their cable will come in through a wall to a hub. From there onwards it is customers job to run wires if needed. Many customers use wi-fi only

0 Kudos
Timwilky
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The easiest way is to install a cable duct between the entrance point and where you want the cable with a draw wire in advance of the floor going down. It makes life very easy for the installer and he will go out of his way to work with you if you present this option to him.

I have never had a complaint from installers, they feed and I pull. Also think where you are likey to want the terminations. Broadband and possibly TV locations. So if you have a study within the flat these are likey to be different. Also before fitting floors and depending on flat size, you may want to run cat 6 between a central area and rooms etc to provide local etherenet connectivity. Just in case your tennent is a tech bod and wants connected stuff thoughout.
0 Kudos