Menu
houghton19
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Bridging modem to router

Hi guys, Im just waiting for my services to be installed, im just about to go and treat myself to a Asus 5300 router and was hoping for a bit of info as this router doesnt have a modem built in im going to need it briged from a modem to here, what is best to use (cheap as possible please) for the 200meg.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bridging modem to router

You have no option but to use the VirginMedia hub supplied free during installation as your modem.  It is the only unit that the VM cable connection recognises.  So you don't need to buy anything else and your setup will be, Virgin Hub (set to Modem Mode) on the VM cable then you can attach your own Asus router to the hub via ethernet.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
houghton19
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thanks very much for the info. never played with the Virgin hub, i assume in "modem mode" it will allow me to setup all my port opening on my asus router and i wont have to open ports on both?

thanks again.
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

houghton19 wrote:
thanks very much for the info. never played with the Virgin hub, i assume in "modem mode" it will allow me to setup all my port opening on my asus router and i wont have to open ports on both?

thanks again.

Correct.  In Modem Mode the hub simply becomes the means to forge a connection to the VM service, it does nothing else.   Your Asus router will now take over command of everything ... DHCP, Port control, Wi-Fi settings and a whole lot more.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
houghton19
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thank you very much. Do you know much about routers, ive just been reading that it has dual WAN, would be amazing if i could use both connections at the same time (i work for openreach and im in contract for fibre still) so it would be awesome to have 200+ my current 50

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi houghton19,

Dual WAN routers should have the option of either Load Balancing or Failover. The former to provide bandwidth simultaneously from 2 ISP's and the latter to act as a secondary, back-up connection for when the primary fails.

I have not used one myself so hope that someone who has will post on here. Sorry I can be of no more help with this.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Jen_A wrote:

Hi houghton19,

Dual WAN routers should have the option of either Load Balancing or Failover. The former to provide bandwidth simultaneously from 2 ISP's and the latter to act as a secondary, back-up connection for when the primary fails.

I have not used one myself so hope that someone who has will post on here. Sorry I can be of no more help with this.

I have a Dual WAN setup at present. VM and BT. They are setup as Load Balancing, so it splits the connections across both circuits. It also allows for outages as on the rare occasions when VM was not available, the BT circuit handled all the traffic.

I have recently replaced my old TP-Link TL-ER5120 Router with a Draytek Vigor 2860, as the old router did not support IPv6.

However neither router allows for link aggregation, but I'm not worried about this feature.

Good Luck with your Dual WAN   Smiley Happy