Menu
thebuckies
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Block paving over VM cable

We are going to have block paving installed and wondering what to do about our virgin cable which currently runs under the grassed area which will be paved over. I read somewhere on this site about getting a VM surveyor out to see about getting cable rerouted (apparently very no leeway at all in the cable layed by VM so will need extending). We rang VM today but were told they won't send out anyone as we don't have a problem with our services. What are we supposed to do? We are willing to pay any charges for survey/to get rerouted. Any advice?
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Block paving over VM cable

Is the cable not deep enough to avoid being effected by the block paving.

our cable was blocked over by block paving and we haven't had any problems, hadn't heard about having to ring up and get a survey.

0 Kudos
thebuckies
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response. Just a few inches deep. Maybe it won't be an issue. I was just wondering if we should be doing something with it in preparation.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Most (but not all) cable drops should be in trunking from the tee to where the cable emerges under the Omni-box. As long as the ends of this remain accessible you will not have problems future. If however this has not been done, VM should be able to arrange it (at a cost).

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

BrianY
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Before you cover the cable could you not purchase say a length of 50mm square  PVC trunking, remove the lid off trunking and lay the cable inside then replace the lid and bury it below your paving!

Just thinking about the future if a cable fault develops and paving need to be dug out!

EightBall
Up to speed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What the others have said is correct.

Virgin Media, if a fault on your drop cable ever does develop, will not lift or tamper with mono block.

My advice would be to check that trunking is present from the point of entry to your garden right up to the omni box. If it's not, Virgin will do it for a cost or you could put your own in before the paving goes down.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thebuckies wrote:
We are going to have block paving installed and wondering what to do about our virgin cable ...... Any advice?

Having done (or at least project managed) this for my block paved hard-standing 18months ago then I'd make the following observations:

1 . VM should provide a survey f.o.c  but make sure you do this at least 6weeks prior to construction.

2.  Dependent on your Area then you may find an attending surveyor(usually senior field tech) may well be able to provide 25mm (green) corrugated flexi duct for you to lay between pavement/street T and your omnibox.   Alternatively you can google for this at Ebay,  RS Components et al

3.  The VM conduit (and cheaper retail equivalent) are designed mainly for grassed/earth areas without significant point loading so may crush in some scenarios if not in sand fill trench with lintel or routed via boundary.  (remember block paving can typically be laid on sand after aggregate/concrete screed laid and then "tamped down")

4. Install a sturdy nylon rope - pullthru before laying conduit and test this at every stage to ensure it can take upto 60Kgm pull force.

5. The surveyor will advise if/how you need a temporary line . thus requiring two tech visits while construction work is underway.  My install also had neighbours VM (and Business) lines running across my forecourt but having uncovered the original RG6 (typically circa late 80's flood cabling 2" under turf with no duct) then Surveyor simply spliced additional length and re-routed to my boundary. That allowed 200cm depth excavation without interupting my connection( WARNING - do not rely on exact scheduled dates for VM prep and reconnection work if you have no other alternative internet backup options).

In my area (Hove) I was fortunate to have some of the area Tech and AFM's mobile numbers so the whole Cable prep, ducting, repull and reconnect only took 4 weeks overal and two tech visits + sureveyor. VM even supplied 11m flexi conduit which we(my building contractors) laid 2" in below sand screed complete with nylon pullthru.   

Excellent job by all concerned but still would be worth £99 (even if they had charged me!) Smiley Wink     However unless you have contact numbers then possibly having to expedite/monitor two tech visit dates via callcentre and/or forum may well have added at least a further 2 weeks to my schedule.

Good luck with yours....

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
thebuckies
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well it's all been done! Block paving down. No issue with Virgin cable. Thanks to everyone for responses.

0 Kudos