Menu
cafucafucafu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Best alternative to VM?

I don't mind if the speed is less but I just want reliable Internet. What are our options?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Best alternative to VM?

All other options use the BT Openreach network and there are many better places and comparison sites than the Virgin Media community forum to do you research.

cafucafucafu
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks!

Odd that this thread does not get removed.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

depends on what you want with your broadband

e.g. go with BT and you get a bundled you view TV box that includes BT sport

go with sky and you also get the best multi room TV solution- sky Q

sky have excellent new customer and refer a friend deals

bt infinity is the fastest broadband alternative IF you can get it at your postcode - web site checkers will confirm e.g. infinity is 70+ but the best BT can offer at my house is standard broadband with a guaranteed 3.5 !

with any non-cable competitor there is a potential big one off landline install cost and delay- unless you have a working BT landline and master socket is a sensible location to add a router. e.g. not at the foot of the stairs / in the front hallway  where there are no poweer sockets

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

cafucafucafu wrote:

I don't mind if the speed is less but I just want reliable Internet. What are our options?

Put your postcode in here, then click on your exchange and you will see the options: https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

LLU providers are the one's that use BT OpenReach infrastructure.

However, there are also several true fibre ISP's that do not use BT infrastructure and therefore are not in the LLU list.

Examples are: B4RN, Gigaclear, Hyperoptic, CityFibre, Kcom. They each have their own postcode checkers on their sites. CityFibre mainly do business fibre, whereas the others do residential.

Since they don't use BT OpenReach's network you can only get them in a select few places. Your chances are slim, but if you have the option then definitely go for them.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/08/pure-fibre-optic-ftth-broadband-networks-cover-780000-u...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

All other options use the BT Openreach network and there are many better places and comparison sites than the Virgin Media community forum to do you research.

Not remotely true. Most likely options yes.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

MUD_Wizard wrote:

Ernie_C wrote:

Not remotely true. Most likely options yes.

the bit about better places and comparison sites is true

0 Kudos